MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

63 with infections and AML

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 63 with infections and AML

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    whitleywrites1
    Participant

My 63 year old grandmother has been battling since the end of last year with MDS, 3 weeks ago, she was diagnosed with AML. Her wish was to fight this, and it has in fact been a true battle, the doctors have been wanting to give up, but she hasn’t. She’s gone through a series of infections throughout this journey, currently trying to get her breathing together per ventilator as she fights this pneumonia. Any advice and stories about your journey would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Neil Hillquist
    Participant

My wife’s journey was very similar to your grandmothers. Diagnosed with MDS in February, we did revlimid for three cycles until she got infections in her mouth and lesions on her body. She fought back from that infection and started Vidazza, Drs said revlimid wasn’t working. One cycle of Vidazza and she caught pneumonia, with very low white blood cells, she received platelets and red packed cells, she received infusions almost every other day for the last month. Although she fought as hard as she could, I lost her two weeks ago. I pray for better results for your grandmother and hope she continues the fight. Neil

whitleywrites1
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear that. 🙁 Thanks for sharing with me. My grandmother started with Vidaza, and they kept stopping the treatment to deal with the infection, so out of 7 months, she only got 2 rounds of the Vidaza. There was a medication called ‘Promacta’ the doctor tried her on, to help her produce her own blood cells, and it just seem to cause an onset of severe lower flank pain that caused her to have issues with walking. The first time, she got past that hurtle, but this time, it’s taking her a while to recover. Turns out, she had an abscess pressing against her kidney. So, they’re draining the abscess, the kidney, plus she has pneumonia, and sepsis (infection of the blood). They didn’t want to treat her with anything for the Leukemia, even after we told them about the different studies that were out there. Fortunately, we were able to transfer her to our local hospital that has a cancer institute, they’re not sounding to optimistic either, but they’re more willing to support what we want. We were able to talk one of the doctors into trying a chemo pill called ‘Hydroxeria’ on my grandmother, that brought her WBC counts down drastically, but not all the way. So, now we are kind of at a stand still until we can get her off of the vent. She’s been on for a few days-she was having trouble breathing with the pneumonia. 🙁

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert