MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

78 year old male

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 78 year old male

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    frank dilisi
    Participant

My name is Frank DiLisi, I am 78year old male. I was diagnosed with MDS 6 months ago. Im on my 4th treatment of Azacitidine shots ( I have 2 remaining cycles left- 2 months). Ive been In need of transfusions on and off- about once every 2-3 weeks roughly. This is due to my spleen absorbing most of the blood coming in. Assuming in 2 months I see no improvement: 1) why havent i been treated with vizadra 2)what experimental/clinical treatments are available fro my age 3) is a bone marrow transplant realistic? My passion for life is still strong and im ready willing and able to try anything. Thanks for your time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Frank, You are on Vidaza. Azacitidine is the generic name for your treatment. You may not see any improvement until you have taken azacitidine for at least 4 to 6 cycles (about 4 to 6 months). And you may feel even worse before you feel better so it’s important to stick with your treatment to give the medicine a chance to work. Are you going to one of our MDS Centers of Excellence https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by .
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert