MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

blood transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board blood transfusions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dmlsnoop
    Participant

My father is 83 years old with low risk MDS, yet he is in the hospital twice a week getting blood transfusions. Just about every doctor in the hospital has seen my father and of course doctors there no nothing about MDS. We are a small county that is 2hours from Indianapolis hospital which are knowledgeable about MDS, and it is hard to try and educate these so called doctors on the subject. My parents are too old to be traveling long distances and I work full time and cannot take them to see more experienced doctors. I need to know if there are people out there that are getting a lot of blood transfusion during the week, week after week.

kjkuch64
    Participant

My father is 92 and receiving blood transfusions every 2 weeks, but I wonder if his MDS does progress will he need them more often.

dmlsnoop
    Participant

My father just started feeling bad this past August 2014 and was diagnosed with MDS then also. He has never went 2 weeks without a transfusion. Its once or twice a week. I read up on MDS and read about different people and their dealing with MDS and most people are 2 weeks or more before getting another transfusion. This is why I am frustrated with these so called doctors we are dealing with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert