MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Do I have MDS??? Male, age 53

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Do I have MDS??? Male, age 53

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Todaro
    Participant

My Mother died of MDS, (and other complications) but that was what was on the death certificate at age 78. I am wondering if I have MDS; aware that it is not hereditary but read it could be. Symptoms I have are: Former Smoker, had Radiation treatment after Radical Prostectamy last year. Bruise/bleed very easy. Last blood work was in February 2016; WBC 3.9, RBC 4.4, Hemoglobin 13.5, Hematocrit-Whole Blood 39.7, Platelet count 126, and Lymphocyte 17. I have an upcoming appointment with my GP and am having blood work done again. If similar results should I ask to see a Hematologist or am I being a Hypochondriac? I’ve been ill off/on for the past 3 years. Any help/comments/opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tim Todaro
    Vilano Beach Florida

Ed Rozendal

I think it would be wise to speak with your Dr. about your concerns and go from there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Tim, Thank you for your post. I am saddened by the news of your mother’s passing. There are occasional familial cases of MDS, however, these are exceptionally rare. The genetics of MDS are complex, and the influence of inborn and inherited changes is either subtle or non-existent. In cases where there is an established history of MDS in the family, I always let other family members know that they should have annual bloodwork done and to watch their counts as an indicator. If your counts are abnormal, I would then make an appointment to see a hematologist. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/.

Hopefully a treatment, and eventually a cure, for MDS will result from our efforts.

Numerous adventurers are Fifa 17 Coins actually which means problematic to find, along the lines of Messi, which means numerous FIFA 14 gamer hover near not to mention example your man. Is that it troublesome example Messi? Keep in mind certainly no. Regular ordering with the help of FIFA capital. The below advice can grant a second route to example Messi not to mention usage Messi. There’s a simple process and yet its all around cheating. You’ll have to acquire a latest profession. Construct a 99 all around someone for Buy Fifa 17 Coins the purpose of the commonest wide-ranging broad quantity of typically the organization you must usage. You definitely usage old fashioned people.

Nadeem Khan
    Participant

My mothers case similar to your late mom she was a very healthy 64 yr old when she got mds and passed away 6 yrs later never a drinker or smoker but she had and beat breast cancer twice but we now believe that the radio and chemotherapy she had most probably brought on this mds about 20-25 yrs later our situation here in the uk was a scandal no info no forums no help to understand this horrible disease and lenolidomide not offered due to costs we even considered buying and treating ourselves but were told if you go private you will pay for everything nurse care etc my mother fought it and smiled right the way to her final breath and was a testament to the old school stiff british upper lip types and never once complained about her situation all i can say to you pal is i hope you have loving family members around you to fight your corner for you because we found we were fobbed off at every stage of her illness and she was almost written off due to her age i wish you luck friend and will pray for you.

LeAnn Duke
    Participant

Hi Tim, I am a 59 yr old female with MDS with no history of smoking, coming in contact with Benzene or any cancer or radiation or chemo treatments to cause this MDS. I have sought three different opinions and gotten each time a confirmed diagnosis of MDS, so I would highly recommend that you see a hematologist to have more specific tests done. From what each of my Dr’s have said a bone marrow biopsy is the only sure way they can tell if it’s MDS. They will also do genetic testing on your blood to check for abnormalities or for genetic changes in your cells. I have had this done three times. One piece of advice: If you opt for the hematologist and they do a bone marrow biopsy, you can ask them to put you to sleep with a twilight drug so that you feel nothing. I hear that the biopsy can bee relatively pain free at places that do biopsies all day long, but just because a Dr has done biopsies doesn’t mean he’s good at it!!! So insist they put you out if you don’t have a high pain tolerance level. My opinion is why allow them to hurt you if they don’t have to!! Good luck and I hope for the best for you!

Timothy Todaro
    Participant

Thanks LeAnn,
    Saw the hematologist and my numbers were in the normal range, which is odd because last few times my blood work came back with low platelets and low WBC. He told to have it checked in another 6 months. Told him about about my Mother having it listed on your death certificate along with my other symptoms. I’m going to wait the 6 months and see what comes about.

When you had you three different opinions with all three giving you the same diagnosis, what were the underlying factors that made the diagnosis MDS all three times? My symptoms have been low platelets, low WBC, easily bruising,(not on any blood/heart meds), former smoker, radiation after Prostate removal, nasal congestion, high Eosinophils, chills/cold sensations.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert