MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mom has MDS and isn't telling ANYONE

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mom has MDS and isn't telling ANYONE

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    carolinagirl
    Participant

Hello everyone – My situation is odd, at best. My 74-year old mother was diagnosed with MDS nearly 5 years ago and swore my poor dad to secrecy about it. He felt like it was wrong to withhold this kind of info from my brother and me, so he told us and then asked me if I would research the disease for him. She refused to give him any information; he had to look at their insurance claim in order to know that it was MDS! He told me that she was giving herself daily B12 injections as well as taking Revlimid and was doing well. Fast-forward 5 years: Dad emailed to tell me that her doctor took her off Revlimid, as he didn’t see it was helping her. After her most recent labs were done and she had returned home, the hospital called and asked her to come back right away to receive platelets and 2 pints of blood.

My dad is fearful of asking her much about all this, given that she has not really let him into the loop. He asked me if I could find out what her future holds if Revlimid is no longer effective, and that’s why I’m here.

I don’t know what grade MDS she has, or if it’s due to deletion 5q. I know nothing other than that she has it and that Revlimid has stopped working.

Can anyone here help fill in some of the gaps for me so I can give my dad some info?

Thank you all!

mdsfound

Dear Carolina, We have a wonderful information program called the Building Blocks of Hope which we can send you via postal mail. If this is something that you would be interested in, please forward your mailing address on to ahassan@mds-foundation.org. In the meantime, you can also view this video https://www.mds-foundation.org/bboh/. I would also recommend that you take her to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. She should be very carefully assessed before undergoing any treatment. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert