MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Obtaining Azacitizine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Obtaining Azacitizine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Arquiza
    Participant

Hi,

My Father-in-law has MDS, and he has been on Vidaza for around 10 cycles.
    He’s responding well, however, the cost of the treatment has exhausted his savings.

We are from the Philippines; does anyone know how to obtain generic azacitidine to continue his treatment?

Karen Skaat
    Participant

I am so glad he is responding well ! Praise to him . I am sorry O do not have any resources for alternative generics

How old is your father in law ? My dad is 81 and trying to decide if he is going to start the drugs or not . Did you Father in law have many side effects ?

Chris Arquiza
    Participant

Hi Karen,

My father-in-law is 76 now. The side-effects for him are usually constipation and low WBC during the injection cycles, so he stays in during those times. The symptoms improve a couple of days after finishing the injections, and he’s usually back to normal after a week.

Oupen Wint
    Participant

From the mechanism of the drug-Azacitidine is a nucleoside analogue of cytidine that specifically inhibits DNA methylation by trapping DNA methyltransferases it can be judged that it shouldn’t be cheap. You may try asking some Indian People as they often have much cheaper version of many drugs. Also because of the complicated function route, it’s less possible to find a alternative like that for RAD140 or Linaclotide from food or other resource. Anyway, hope someone with the source of this drug can noticed this post.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Oupen Wint.
    Gail Rossum
    Participant

Chris and Karen, my husband is 76 and also on Azacitizine starting round 7 Nov 1, and we cut the antinausea pill in half and it really help with constipation. Also contact the drug company, who it was made by for funding. If you can’t afford it they will help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert