MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Patlo Type donor

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Patlo Type donor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tina Carey
    Participant

I have been told that a nonrelated search is difficult because I need a Patlo type donor. Does anyone know what I means, I can’t find out anything on web site to references this?
    I have MDS RAEB-2, had one week of chemo and starting the second round in Sept. and a third in Oct. Another bone marrow and then they decide on the transplant.
    Any information would be appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Tina, If I am not mistaken, I think you are referring to a Haplo or Haploidentical transplant. Sometimes if you are having difficulty finding a matched related or unrelated donor and must proceed to transplant quickly, your doctor may suggest a haploidentical transplant. This is a transplant from a related donor, such as one of your parents or your child, who only half matches your HLA type. Historically, the risk of complications is greater with a haploidentical transplant than with a transplant using blood stem cells from a well-matched donor, but new techniques are being developed to improve the safety of this procedure. I hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert