MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Worried, need some help

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Worried, need some help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    krunkert
    Participant

I’m a *healthy* 34 year old male. Problem is for the past 5 years my blood tests have been getting all sorts of weird and now they are scaring me. About 5 years ago my wbc was low (4 I think), ran some tests, found nothing and moved on. WBC has been low ever since (but stable-ish 2.6 – 4.0). Last year my platelets came back at 111. Scary part was after I looked back through my yearly records I noticed my platelets have been falling steadily since I first started getting regular cbc’s. Went through a battery of tests including a bone marrow biopsy. It came back mild hypoplasia but nothing he seemed concerned about.

Here is the freaky part. When my blood doctor gave me the results he mentioned *possible* mds though when I asked him about it at a later apt after I researched it he said, “No, there was nothing in biopsy to indicate that.” Obviously I know there was because I didn’t just pull it out of the air to research it. Anyways, I digress. Am I worrying myself to death over nothing? He seems to think its probably a very slow moving bone disorder. He seems to think its nothing. I should note that almost everything else on my cbc is relatively normal, I’ve had probably 20 so and there have been some oddities that were like .1% outside normal range but nothing consistent. RBC is stable and normal, WBC is low but stable, platelets were falling but seemed to be stable around 105 ish for the last 6 months. I have my yearly checkup this week so it got me all concerned again.

Has anyone seen MDS manifest like this? At this age? I know its possible but unlikely but I’m asking if there is anything else that would point me in the right direction. I should end with I have no symptoms, and am physically fit, though I could stand to build some muscle.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any input.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your email with information regarding health. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you go to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. Second opinions are pursued for many reasons: to confirm the diagnosis of MDS, to evaluate the appropriateness of the treatment plan, to consider participating in clinical trials (which may only be available at certain facilities). Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the MDS Foundation toll-free at 800-637-0839.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert