MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

4+ years with MDS under control

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 4+ years with MDS under control

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kirby

Hi fellow MDS patients,
    My 11th BMB since diagnosis in Feb 04 continues to show no dysplastic cells in any blood line. I was at 16% blasts in April 04. I started Thalidomide and it controlled the MDS for 2.5 years. I have no chromosome abnormalities. I’m a good responder to Procrit and Neupogen.

Revlimid was started in Dec 2006 at 10 MG/day. It has controlled my MDS for 18 months. My platelets have slowly dropped and are now in the 78-85 range. The doctor is having me take a “holiday” off Revlimid until the platelets rise above 90. It will be restarted at 5 mg/day. My Hgb ranges from 12.9 to 14, WBC ranges from 2.5 to 3.8. My case shows that Revlimid can work with patients that are not -5q.

When I started treatments there were no drugs specifically for MDS, now we have at least 3.

All of us with MDS respond differently. A positive attitude and finding a knowledgeable doctor with which you are comfortable can help in battling MDS. I find the more I learn about MDS the more “empowered” I feel in dealing with the disease. I’m fortunate to be a good responder to all the medications used thus far.

Keep a positive attitude as you fight MDS.

LynnI
    Participant

That is awesome, I am very happy for you. I was suppose to start Revlimid but last week our insurance company refused to pay for it because I don’t have the -5q.
    Wishing you continued good health and feeling great.
    Lynn

eve

kirby

so glad things are working well for you and that you are feeling great

continued good health
    eve

Kirby

Hi Lynn,
    The following article shows that non -5q MDS patients respond well to Revlimid.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.or…ur cetype=HWCIT

You might be able to use it with your insurance company to get Revlimid.

LynnI
    Participant

Kirby, thank you very much, We are trying to change their minds. Hopefully this article will help.
    Thanks again
    Lynn

helenr

That is wonderful news Kirby. Unfortunately we are still waiting for the 10mg dose to work for David. with his 5 mg protocol there was an added week of a special stem cell factor as well. I hope it works this time without the scf. Apparently he developed resistance to the 5mg after 5 months.

Helen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert