MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

55 year old woman just diagnosed with MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 55 year old woman just diagnosed with MDS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jill
    Participant

I was just diagnosed with MDS RCMD-RS after a bone marrow biopsy. One of my questions is how do I choose a transplant doctor to treat me, even if he or she decides I’m not ready for a transplant? I am having symptoms of the MDS – extreme fatigue, weight loss, and shortness of breath. My hematologist recommended a practice that isn’t one of the centers of excellence, but another doctor recommended a doctor that is at a the only center of excellencein my state. Should I get both opinions, or go out of state? Which facilities are considered cutting edge?

naomi dotson
    Participant

I to have mds. I was diagnosed three years ago. My blood has been up down the lowest was a 6.4 I lived on blood transfusions my advise is go to a cancer center. I go to cancer center of America in two months they have my blood up to a 11.3 and the oncologist here could not so it in three years. yes always get a second opinion don’t stop until you find someone to help.

Jill Whitney
    Participant

I was diagnosed with unclassified MDS (Intermediate-2) in 2008 at the age of 47. My first symptoms were fatigue and excessive bruising. It took six months of seeing my local hematologist before I was finally referred to Stanford, which is 4 hours from my home. It just so happened to be a Center of Excellence for MDS. Getting a second opinion is a great idea but in my case, I needed a transplant and it would not be covered by my husband’s insurance unless it was done at a Center of Excellence. You might check with your insurance company.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Through our MDS Centers of Excellence program we have identified the top MDS experts worldwide. We do not give this designation easily and to maintain our integrity our criteria is quite extensive. I would recommend that you go to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this helps.

Jill
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for more lab tests to come back. So far they’ve shown no molecular abnormalities (aside from the MDS anyway). Is this a good sign?

Jill Whitney
    Participant

Are you referring to the bone marrow biopsy results? The chromosome analysis usually takes a bit longer. Your IPSS score will determine what your risk factor is. This is a combination of the number of blasts (immature white blood cells – you want this number to be under 5%), number of chromosome aberrations and number of blood lines that are affected (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets). Request a free copy of 100 Questions and Answers About Myelodysplastic Syndromes from the MDS Foundation. It will help answer a lot of your questions. I also agree with the site administrator about going to a Center of Excellence for MDS to be evaluated. I hope this helps.
    By the way, my name is Jill too and I will be 55 soon. What a coincidence!

Jill
    Participant

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! I’m now in the “watch and wait” phase. Both my first and second opinions recommended putting off the transplant a while.

The oncologist who is going to follow me has suggested that we try B6 supplements for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. I eat a pretty healthy diet (vegetables, fruit, lean meat, fortified cereals). Have any of you tried the vitamin route?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert