MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

A bad day

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board A bad day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ensnee

I swear, I really don’t know how I will live through this…Today at PMH, Hans’ white count went up to the 70s from 20 on Monday. So much for the Hydroxyurea. Dr. Schuh was not in the hospital today, but the nurse-manager at the transfusion clinic got in touch with him, and he ordered a huge dose of Ara-C intravenously — I think it was 2 grams. Hans also had two units of blood before that.

Well, things were okay till we got home this evening. Hans went straight to bed with the chills. He didn’t seem feverish, so I let him rest for awhile, but by 8:30 he was burning up and nauseous. I contacted the doctor on calll at PMH, and he said to go to the local ER. Hans did not want to go, but I made him. Thank God I did.
    Luckily, our family doctor was on call in the ER, which was a very good thing. By the time they got a CBC back, his white count was then up to 100. His spleen and liver are both swollen. Just two weeks ago Dr. Schuh couldn’t even feel his spleen, and everything else was fine, too. Our doctor had spoken with the doc on call at PMH. He said he couldn’t say from the CBC whether it was an infection, or a reaction to the Ara-C, so they admitted him and started him on prophylactic I.V. antibiotics, plus Gravol & Tylenol. If the blood cultures they did tonight are clear,(it takes 2 days for those results) and he is feeling better by Saturday, he can come home. But still there is the problem that the AML is going wildly out-of-control.

My heart is breaking…Thanks for listening.

Esme

sarah

I feel your pain Esme, thoughts are with you and Hans. One day at a time.
    Sarah

Kathy G

Esme-
    My heart is with you – it is so hard to watch what this disease does. It could very well just be a reaction to the Ara-C – it’s good that he’s being treated in the hospital. I’m praying he can come home on Sat because I’m sure that’s where he’d rather be.
    Hang in there – you and your family are in my prayers.

Kathy G

Terri

Prayers go out to you, I hope Hans comes home
    God Bless

Ensnee

Thank you,all. Hans is feeling much better today.
    His fever is gone, and he’s eating again. He hasn’t had the results of today’s CBC yet, so we don’t know if his white count is down.

I’m so tired. Trying to catch a nap before I go to see him and take his essentials and a pizza from the Whole Foods Market near the hospital smile

Martha, as usual, is a rock.

hugs,
    Esme

CarolineG

Esme,

Praying we hear that Hans is well enough to come back home very soon.

Caroline

patti

Esme,

I thought of you and Hans all day while I was waiting for mom’s tx to finish. I am glad he’s doing a little better. Hang in there.

Patti

Ensnee

Hi Guys,

Well, some encouraging news — Hans’ white count went down to 39 as of this morning. The infectious disease doctor took him off of isolation, increased his antibiotics, but didn’t want him to come home today, yet. (Just before I left to see Hans, he called and said they MIGHT let him come home today.) He scarfed down his pizza and one of those Arthur’s health juices.
    He looked so much better than last night. So, we’ve had a bit of a reprieve. He is still going back to PMH on Sunday to the tranfusion clinic.

It is so comforting to know I can pour my heart out to you all, and you know EXACTLY what we’re going through. Much love to you —

Esme

patti

Esme,

I am so thankful Hans is doing better. It’s so hard when it’s up and down everyday and you never know if you’re coming or going. Take good care of Hans and yourself.

patti

CarolineG

Esme,

It is good to hear that Hans was feeling better today. I agree with Patti. You are on an emotional roller coaster. Keep up your good work. Fingers are crossed that Hans will be able to go home tomorrow.

Blessings,
    Caroline

gemloyear

Esme, You and Hans are in our prayers. I’m glad that he is improved enough to go home today. I hope that the Dr’s will find a treatment that will work for Hans.
    God Bless, Ellie & Glen

Ensnee

Well, Hans was discharged this morning. His stomach has stayed settled, thank goodness. He checked his temp a litte while ago, and it’s fine. He’s pretty tired — the chemo has probably knocked down his Hg. His white count was down to 29 this morning! Platelets are really low again, down to 19. It’s just a constant battle trying to maintain the balance.
    When I picked him up, he looked like he’s been in a fight (other than the type we’re all used to talking about) — he has bruises around his eyes, I guess from the low platelets. His brother is taking him down to PMH for a blood check tomorrow. They opened a smaller-scale transfusion clinic on weekends a few months ago — a great idea.

I’m still feeling like everything could fall apart anytime. Hans seems a bit calmer. He was prescribed Requip to treat his restless leg syndrome, which has become really bad the past couple of weeks. Tonight’s his first night on it.

many hugs,
    Esme

Kathy G

Glad to see Hans is home – I think it’s always better when they are home and close to the family. I remember my Dad having restlessness with his legs. Hope you are able to enjoy your evening and get some rest yourself – I’m sure you need it too.

Kathy G

CarolineG

Esme,

I am sure that you are thrilled to have Hans home again. I have been thinking of you all day.

Try to get a good night’s sleep. It is important for you to fill up your tank and keep healthy.

Caroline

shirlsgirl

Hi Esme!!

I’m so glad that Hans is home and that his wbc’s have come down. I hope he’s feeling better.

Has Requip helped Hans’s restless leg syndrome? Is it an over the counter product? Mom also experiences this…I wonder if it’s an MDS related problem??

Thinking of you guys…

Take care, Jody

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert