MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

A question about counts in children…..

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board A question about counts in children…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LisainOk

My 7 year old has ITP according to her pediatrician but she’s never had any other tests done and normally that is diagnosed by eliminating any other causes first. Her red blood is low and platelets a bit low -finally she is suppose to see a hemo. Doctor suggested that with our family history, which is pretty bad where leukimia and aplastic anemia are concerned, there might be a hereditary bone marrow problem (which I translated in my mind as cancer). As most of you probably know we lost my dad to mds/leukimia in Dec. Not sure how much more I can take of this. Anyway, I’m wondering if the info Neil sent me when dad was sick is pertinent to my daughter as far as normal counts and whatnot. Or is it different for a child? Thanks for any help here.

Blessings~Lisa

gemloyear

HI, My husband has itp as well as mds. when he first was diagnosed with the itp I went into a medline site and read that it may not be as serious in children and they can outgrow it. If you don’t find it I well go throu some of my print outs to see if I can find it. I hope the hemo can reasure you, praying for your daughter. Ellie

LisainOk

Thanks Ellie,
    I’m not wanting to put myself into a position of assuming anything but she has had itp for almost 4 years and platelets have been as low as 39,000. Could have been lower but we’ve not had her platelets checked regularly, just kept a close watch on her ya know?

Terri

Hope all goes well at the appt Lisa, I am sure Neil will respond with an answer on your question about the counts and the standards for children.

Neil

Hi Lisa,
    The counts for children and adults vary slightly. There is some variation between male and female.
    Would focus on the hemo and what he/she thinks about AA.
    There are cases of ITP where it goes away about as fast as it appears. Think she will need a BMB to have solid diagnosis

shirlsgirl

Hi Lisa,

Hope all goes well with the hemo appointment for your daughter….hope you hear good news.

take care, Jody

LisainOk

Thanks for the help. She has an appt on the 17th so hopefully we will figure out what’s wrong. Will let you guys know:-)

Jimbob

Lisa,
    I know noting about ITP. I do hope and pray, though, that God will get her through it and back to health.
    Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert