MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

About my dad's blood counts from yesterday

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board About my dad's blood counts from yesterday

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

Here’s an email I received from my mom:
    “Dad’s counts are still awful. He needed platelets today and has to come back on Sunday to have his bloodwork checked. We don’t know when they’ll continue his therapy. He’s afraid that it will have progressed to AML by then. I sure hope and pray not.”

Anyone else experience trouble with fevers and then getting the blood counts back up? I want to give them some hope (although I know that everyone is different).

Love,
    Carrie

sarah

Hi Carrie, my husbands counts have gotten very low several times past 3 years. Drs did not think they would come back up, but they always did. He was fortunate. It was usually during those low counts he too had fevers. Will keep your dad in our thoughts and prayers.
    Take care,
    Sarah

Carrie

Thanks.

Here’s more info:

Yesterday his white blood count was at .5 and he had 100% Lymphocytes. What does this mean?

Love,
    Carrie

Neil

Hi Carrie,
    Will attempt to clarify, but best to cover with a doc.
    His WBC is very low, normal is 3.5 – 10.8 K/uL
    A reading of 100% Lymphocytes would indicate there are:
    no neutrophils
    no monocytes
    no esinophils
    no basophils
    His resistance to infection is critically low.
    Would keep him as isolated as possible till you can confirm the count is accurate.
    Would also ask about a WBC transfusion. They usually reserve them for those with very low WBC levels. This may be such an event. Wbc do not live very long, thus it is rare to hav a WBC TX
    It is not something seen very often so would follow up soon and get some answers.

shirlsgirl

Hi Carrie,

Just thinking of you and your dad. Do you know if his counts have come up? I hope he is feeling better.

Take care chickee, Jody

Carrie

Neil,

Thank you! I’ll pass the information on to my mom.

All,

He went for his blood counts yesterday (Sunday) and his WBC went up about .1. His red blood count went down a little. His platelets are back down to 20 so he got an infusion.

Mom didn’t say anything about the lymphocytes yesterday so either they weren’t on the report or they were back to normal.

Overall, he’s feeling good. He goes in for counts again on Tuesday. Mom said they’re just waiting for the counts to come back up now so that they can start back on the Vidaza.

Love,
    Carrie

Carrie

Quick update:

Dad’s last two counts (Thursday and Sunday) showed some improvement. His lymphocytes are down a little and the good ones are coming up a little.

He’s getting his counts taken every couple of days. He meets with the onc next Tuesday and he’s already scheduled for the next Vidaza. I assume that they’re thinking that his counts will come up enough for the Vidaza.

Thank you for the support,
    Carrie

Joannie

Hi CArrie,

Glad you are getting some more positive news! Hange in there! I will be thinking about you and your family and adding you to my prayers! Joan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert