MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Allergic reaction to Vidaza

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Allergic reaction to Vidaza

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Donna Bradshaw
    Participant

Hello, I am posting for my mom. She just started her 3rd round of Vidaza. After her 2nd round, she had a systemic, allergic reaction. The docs added Benadryl and Tylenol this round as she cannot take steroids. Unfortunately the reaction started sooner and was worse this time around. They have now stopped her chemo to regroup.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did you find anything that controlled the allergy? So far she is responding well on the Vidaza and I hate to see it stopped.
    TIA

Cecile Huston
    Participant

Do you mean allergic to the drug or from it being injected? I could not tolerate it being injected, did the 1st round that way and my skin was horrible, broke out and itched, so now they do it in my port and no problem.

Donna Bradshaw
    Participant

Thanks for your response. Initially they thought it was just irritation at the injection sites, but then she broke out in a hive like rash. They tried a port this month and she had an immediate systemic reaction. That’s what they stopped it. The plan is to move onto a different chemo drug, but I am concerned about a failure with this med she nice there are so few options, it was working well otherwise and she has been told she isn’t a candidate for stem cell transplant.

Donna
    Participant

I am still called pre-MDS, however, my MD is talking chemo when my platelets get down to 50,000. They are about 67,000 now. He is talking about Decitabine (Decogen). Has your doctor mentioned that as an option?

Donna Bradshaw
    Participant

Hi Donna,
    Thanks for your response. Decogen is what they are trying starting Monday. I don’t know enough about the two meds to understand why this may be a better option. I was hoping they could do something to manage the reaction so that We weren’t crossing a med off the list of limited options, but that is not their plan. Saying our prayers that she has a good response and not allergy to the Decogen.
    Prayers for you that your numbers continue to be good!

Mark Simpson
    Participant

I myself was told by my cancer doctor that they will not administer Vidaza for it can make people very sick.

Cecile Huston
    Participant

I have been on vidaza since last June at 7 treatments every 28 days plus 2 clinical trials and I am doing very good, I do everything I want, cooking, laundry, gardening, estate sales and etc. I just take longer to do it and do tire easily, but I am 75 so I am not sure rather the drugs, the MDS or old age contribute to any problems I have. I am very satisfied with my treatment at the KU Clinical trial in KC Kansas. Today was my 90th treatment, I am going for 1,000, well I can hope can’t I? Good luck with your treatment as well.

Donna Bradshaw
    Participant

Thank you both for your responses. Mark Simpson I am beginning to think it is a billing decision, rather than a patient first decision to have usd the Vidaza first. Her experience with the Decogen so far has been a world of difference, thank God!
    Cecile, I am so happy for you that you have had a different experience with the Vidaza. Keep going, girl!!
    Prayers for both of you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert