MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Allogenic Stem Cell Transplant Relapse

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Allogenic Stem Cell Transplant Relapse

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    barbjdipas
    Participant

I was one year away from my allogenic stem cell transplant and relapsed with an MRD at 1.5%. The doctor who did the transplant recommended a treatment of Vidaza combined with Venetoclax as the first step in “salvage therapy”. There is no explanation as to what happened but my counts have never recovered and I am getting transfusions sometimes 2-3x/week of platelets (for sure) and red blood cells. Initially the idea was to push the cancer back into remission and then do a donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI) to “boost” the immune system to fight off the cancer.
    Graft vs. Host disease was a concern for the stem cell doctor and he recommended that I go home and “take what God gives me” – prognosis is months.

Has anyone experienced graft vs. host disease? Has anyone had a DLI during a transplant relapse that can share their experience? My donor cells are grafted at 98% but I’m told the bone marrow is “clogged” with cells from the old immune system that are blocking healthy production. Any information would be helpful as I have to make a decision on the DLI by this Monday.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert