MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Alternative treatment for MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Alternative treatment for MDS

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hui Ma
    Participant

My dad had his bone marrow biopsy two months ago and his blast% was 35%. He was diagnosed with AML. However he had another bone marrow biopsy and his blast level is 13% so he was told he had MDS. The doctor said the difference between blast level is due to the location where the sample was taken. My dad is 82 years old and generally very healthy. He does not have much symptoms so he decided not to do any treatment. I am looking for some alternative herbs or treatment that can stabilize his condition and/or delay the onset of AML. His platelet is around 60, hemoglobin is around 8 and neutrophil is about 650.

Have anyone heard about Fucoidan? Is it good for MDS or AML?
    Thanks
    Hui

kerpaka
    Participant

Try papaya leaf extract. I have been taking it for 2 weeks and my platelets went up 3,000. Good luck.

tam
    Participant

I second the organic papaya leaf extract for platelets. I have been purchasing organic papaya leaf from Starwest Botanicals for a few years and my platelets have inched up over time. I purchase tea bags and fill them with dried leaves. Steep for 10 mins in water and enjoy.
    (This is not an advertisement for SB)

joanne
    Participant

kerpaka, what brand do you use? I just ordered some from Herbal Papaya but it’s good to know about brands that have already been shown to work for someone.

joanne
    Participant

Hui Ma, I wouldn’t think Fucoidan would be good for anyone with low platelets. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center website says it slows blood clotting.

Hui Ma
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I am glad to hear that Papaya leaf extract is good for platelets. I will get it for my dad and hopefully it works for him as well.

I heard it is tricky to use Fucoidan for leukemia and now I know the reason. Thanks a lot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert