MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

altitude

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JOCELYN

How does living at an altitude of 6000 to 10000 ft affect a person with MDS with low hemoglobin.
    Thanks
    Jocelyn

karenkay

When we brought me dad from Illinois to Idaho, we had to travel through Cheyenne Wyoming and the altitude was higher. His oxegyn level dropped from 97% saturation to 89%. Once we hit the road and the altitude dropped, his oxygen was right back up to 97%.
    Just my experience,
    God Bless,
    karenk

Neil

Hi Jocelyn,
    As a rrule higher altitudes cause problems getting enough oxygen to a MDS patients organs. If red counts are low there could a problem at sea level. Altitude adds to the problem.
    Platelet function is also impaired. There is a possibility of bleeding problems as altitude increases.

sugarwhale

Dear Jocelyn,
    Ah! A question I can really answer! My mom lives here in Albuquerque close to the Sandia Mountains. Her house is about 6300 ft. high, as is my own. Now, if one suddenly comes from sea level to here, one really feels it! However, after a few weeks, one adjusts to it. The lungs expand and the altitude is no longer a problem. I do notice that, when I travel, I get a burst of energy at sea level. When I return home, all I want to do is…sleep. But time will enable you to adjust. A lot of people who come here (also to Santa Fe and Taos) get a throbbing headache and have trouble breathing. It’s important to just take it easy until your body adjusts. It’s really a very healthy climate!
    ~~~ Janet

sugarwhale

Dear Jocelyn,
    I forgot to tell you that there are things one can do to adjust to high altitude: 1/ Drink lots of liquids; 2/Take it easy; 3/DON’T do very strenuous exercise until you know you can tolerate it.
    My mom has lived here for 36 years. There are no problems with her blood counts that are altitude-caused.
    ~~~ Janet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert