MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Another bump in the road

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Another bump in the road

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    geebeebee

During Mom’s annual mammogram (she had breast cancer six years ago), they found two small lumps that they are concerned about. They’ll do a needle biopsy soon to see what to do. The doctor said that when she went through the SCT, her immune system was so weakened that it could have given even a few tiny cells a chance to grow and expand.

So, the breast cancer treatment caused MDS, and now the treatment for that can bring back the breast cancer!?!?!? This circle needs to end.

You would think with all the chemo running through her body from the SCT that nothing would have a chance. The doctor she went to said not to get crazy until the biopsy is done, but that is easier said than done.

I hope everyone is hanging in there; it’s been a rough week on the board and we all need some positive fortune.

Take care,

Greg

Suzanne

woow! We will wish for a good report and relief from worry for you all.

Lolam

I too have been fighting breast cancer for the last four years, having a recurrence two years ago. I ended chemo in April of 2003. I have the her2neu/gene which makes my BC more aggressive but they have come up with Herceptin, a miracle drug for us girls with this speciality, which has been keeping us alive.
    Alas, all the chemo has given me MDS just when I was winning the battle with BC. They do not do SCT anymore for Breast cancer because so many of the patients were not surviving the treatment. They found the girls did better with less chemo.
    It is frustrating to have the treatment cause another disease that is much worse in some ways.

I go to Seattle to see about a BMT in April. But I know I still have BC cells running around in my blood. My curiostiy now is what will kill me:BC, MDS, AML or the treatment for it!!!!! ARGHH There just has got to be a better way out there. I pray that some little guy stirring up a little something in his basement this very moment will set us free from this particular set of problems we are all facing…

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost your loved ones recently. I am counting on the God of all Comfort to be there for you now. For the ones who actually have this disease and have the courage to read these posts, and it DOES take courage, I pray that you will have all the strength you need to meet the challenges of this day.

I like this little quote: “The butterfly counts not the months but the moments….and has time enough…

We must be careful to not let our health or our loved ones health be all we know. We must treasure the good things in life, not miss them by such attention to the bad things. Spring is here up north now and I still love the first daffodil. We all just have this day to hold in our hand. Let’s make it a happy one by counting our blessings. It just comes down to focus I guess.
    Hugs, Lola

sarah

Beautifully said Lola, you brought tears to my eyes.
    Take care,
    Sarah

shirlsgirl

Oh no,I’m so sorry. Okay, you know what….I’m starting to get angry now and anger is much more satisfying than sadness. Stinkin’ MDS and stinkin’ cancer. Your poor mom. Just to let you know that I’m waiting here for some happy news from you. I’m anxious to hear that those lumps are completely benign so she can have a wonderful summer and a wonderful full long life.

I hope her biopsy is painless and very,very negative. Hang in there Greg.

Thinking of you, Jody

CMH64

Oh Greg! We will hold a good thought! I know the waiting is difficult. It dosen’t seem to get any easier, does it? Let your Mom know that she and your family are in our prayers and our thoughts every day! Cathy

————————————————-
    husband Troy, 59, dx AML M4 12/03, Induction, fungal infection skin and lungs, remission, four
    consolidations, MRSA sepsis infection, kidney damage and dialysis, relapse dx CMML 8/04,
    related allo SCT, 11/04, remission, no chomosome damage, still on dialysis

mommachkate

Hi Greg, I am so sorry, just when She is started to get better, and now she has to go through this. And for all of you the constant worry until she gets the result.I am thinking of your Mom and you and hoping so very much for an absolute negative result. Best wishes , Kate

LisainOk

Greg,
    I can only imagine how frustrating this must be:( I’m so sorry for your mom. I know it’s difficult, but try to have faith that it will all work out for the best. I’ll definitely be praying for her.
    Blessings~Lisa

PAG2005

Greg,

I’m sorry to hear this news. I really feel for your mom, she doesn’t need this extra worry. I’ll be praying for her. Take care.. Pat

Kathryn

Greg,

I am so sorry…I hope that the report from the doctor brings your mom good new and peace.

You’re in my thoughts & prayers,

Kathryn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert