MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Another question…..

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Another question…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LisainOk

Is a bmb the same thing as a bma?

Suzanne

Don’t know what a BMA would be inless it is a bone marrow aspirate which is part of a bone marrow test( I believe the withdrawal of the fluid) the entire test is called a BAB the b is for biopsy. the other part is the biopsy of the bone sample which I think is where they check for chromosome changes. someone else might know more.

Jimbob

Many people use the interchangealy but Suznne is right. Most of the time they are done together. The BMB like a core sample actually done with a corkscrew like device to get through the bone to get the bone marrow sample. Then, through the hole a long neddle can be inserted to aspirate bone marrow from deeper into the hollow of the bone. This is the way that bone marrow usee to ge harvested for a BMT with about 300 aspirations! That is the part of the procedure that can hurt. For me BMB was just pressure while BMA was like an electrified wire down the leg.
    Jim

LisainOk

wow! youchola! Ok just wondering what the difference was. Have definitely heard the two used interchangeably and didn’t really know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert