MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Another update and a vent (warning, sad)

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Another update and a vent (warning, sad)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

We’re trying to keep our spirits up but it’s getting harder.

Dad’s fever hasn’t gone away. It gets as high as 38.5 (which I think isn’t too bad). The thing is that they don’t know where the infection is coming from. They’re doing a full body CAT scan with barium in an hour or so.

Dr. Wang stopped by and she asked how he was feeling. He said “Worried.” She said “I’m worried, too.” She told him that it appears that he has more blasts in his blood. They’re going to do another bone marrow biopsy but they seems to want to get him stabilized more before they do it. She also told him that he’s being a “bad patient” to make him laugh.

He’s also suffering from swollen feet/legs. His feet and ankles were swollen pretty badly when I was there. I know he has a weak heart from being overweight and from his chemo. They haven’t said that he may be having heart problems but I guess it’s a possibility, too.

He’s getting very depressed. I asked him what I could do and he said “Love me.” Of course I love him.

He said he’s trying to lift this up to God. I told him it’s one of the things that he can do besides trying to keep his strength up by eating as much as he can and getting some exercise. He’s being really stubborn about exercising. His physical therapist had to drag him out to walk the other day.

I’m so sad for him. It just seems that there’s one thing after another and it’s terrible not knowing a lot of stuff. Even knowing what was going on wouldn’t help us be more positive.

At least the c. diff seems to have calmed down and it doesn’t seem like he has pneumonia.

I wish I were there to hug him. I just keep telling him to “Hang in there.”

Thanks for listening, sorry that it’s so sad.

Oh… in addition, I’m so worried for Kathryn’s dad. I hope he’s okay.

Carrie

Donna

I’m so sorry Carrie. Gosh, your dad is so young. Unfortunatley, sadness is a big part of this disease. I wish I had some miracle answers for you. I know it’s sooo hard. I can say, I can relate to what you are going through having watched my mom go through all of her horrible stuggles. One day at a time I think is the best any of us can do. I hope that your dad is able to get through this difficult time and that things get easier for you and your family.

Take Care,
    Donna

Carrie

Thank you, Donna. *hug*

Terri

Carrie, will keep your dad in my prayers. Hoping to hear some good news. Don’t ever apologize for a post we are all here to support you.

Jimbob

Carrie,
    We are here for you. Wish we could give you all the information you and he need to make a difference but it is an ongoing process and things are different for each person. Prayers for you and your father.
    Jim

PAG2005

Carrie,

I hope they find the source of your dad’s infection soon. I know how hard it is to wait for test results. Your dad is in my prayers. Pat

riley

Carrie, I’m so sorry for all your father and your family are going through. I’m praying for good results from the CAT scan and a better day for you all tomorrow.

riley

Carrie, one thing I just thought of…my father’s doctor recently told us that the blast count can increase due to an infection. With my father’s last infection, his count got into the 30s, and I was panicking. The doctor told me not to worry yet…and now that the infection is gone, his blast count is back at 2. I’ll pray that the same will be true for your father *when* (not if!) they treat his infection.

sarah

Carrie, thinking and praying for your dad.

Carrie

Thank you, everyone.

Riley… I just read that, too. I hope that’s why the blasts are up. Why wouldn’t the doctor tell him that? Ugh.

Anyway, the CAT scan was clear except for some colitis (from the c. diff). The colitis is clearing up, though.

I guess the infection control guys are going to come up and see him again. Not that they’ll learn anything more. Nothing has changed since they last asked him the 2 billion questions.

Anyway, his spirits were a little better when I talked to him last.

Thanks for listening,
    Carrie

geebeebee

Carrie, hope everything clears up and he feels better soon.

Greg

shirlsgirl

Hi Carrie,

I’m sorry about your Dad. The poor guy! Glad to hear though that the CAT scan results were clear. Hopefully things will get better.

Hugs smile

Jody

Kathryn

Oh Carrie, I do know how hard this is on you all. It does seem to be one thing or another… or a complex group of things. I never truly understood when people would use the phrase “battling cancer” exactly what it meant… Whew, I sure do now. It is a huge battle, both mentally & physically.

I am so sorry your dad is having such a difficult time. Maybe someone could take him outside to a courtyard for some sunshine. Moving about might help the swelling too. My dad has also been very depressed and it is heartwrenching to see him in such misery, physically & emotionally. Hospital rooms aren’t exactly the most uplifting place to be cooped up in….We have been giving my dad comedy & music cd’s to either watch or listen to. Pictures to look at, etc…. We have alsobeen smothering him w/ love & prayers. Just keep calling your dad and telling him how much you love him… Even though he knows it, hearing & feeling it fuels the soul.

Carrie, thank you so much for your concern for my dad. I really appreciate it. Know that I am praying for your father as well.

Hang in there Carrie… positive thoughts, BIG HUGS, rays of sunshine, best wishes & prayers are being sent your way… and your dad’s. I’m only an e-mail away… and I would gladly give you my phone number if you ever need…

Take care,

Kathryn

Carrie

Kathryn,

I’m not sure what to say… thank you SO much for your support. Dad’s been walking around the hospital ward but I’m sure they would let him get in a wheelchair and go outside for a while. I’ll check on that. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I know what you mean about the “battle.” It really is!!! No one knows unless they’ve been through it themselves. His battle makes me want to take better care of me so that I don’t have to deal with the same stuff. Not that I have that much control over my own future but if I can stay healthy, I am going to try my best.

Thanks again for the support,
    Carrie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert