MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone taking Danazol?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone taking Danazol?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

My dad was rx’ed Danazol. He used to take Thalidomide, but the side effects were JUST to much for him.

His dr prescribed him the Danazol recently and wanted him to try it, to see if it works for him.

Wondered if anyone else has taken it or has info about it…He has had 1 blood tranfusion and 1 plasma transfusion.

Still new to all this confused

shirlsgirl

Hi Wendy,

My mom hasn’t taken Danazol but I found an interesting article on: Prolonged complete remission of myelodysplastic syndrome treated with danazol, retinoic acid and low-dose prednisone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query…5&dopt=Abstract

Jody

txnmomma

Jody.. WOW, I read the link from your post.

Thank you! In fact, I printed it out so that my dad could read it..

Neil

Hi Wendy,
    There was a patient in Florida that was on Danazol in an effort to boost platelets. It helped for about a year, maybe a little less.

txnmomma

Neil, ahhhhhh now my head is spinning..ughh- now I am confused. I guess I should just think of it this way.. everyone is different and meds help everyone differently.

With that said, my dad’s platelets appear to be ok. If I am correct, platelets help the blood clot [prevent and stop bleeding] This person in Fl needed Danazol for the platelet boost.

Before the MDS diagnosis, he was DVT. [Blood clots] He is currently on Coumadin for the blood clotting.

I think overall.. I am just hoping Danazol will start to work for dad.

Neil

Hi Wendy,
    did a hematologist prescribe the Coumadin?
    Is there any bleeding/bruising?

txnmomma

Neil…

Quote:
    did a hematologist prescribe the Coumadin?
    Is there any bleeding/bruising?

The coumadin was presribed 16 mnths ago @ Oct ’03 by his Family dr. He had 3-4 large clots in his leg. He doesnt have any bleedin or bruising. His PT is always checked and at one point about a month ago. He has given a plasma tx b/c his pro-time was about 120-130 eek

Then in July 04 he was dx’ed with MDS. I have always wondered if there is a relation btwn the two.

Neil

Hi Wendy,
    Danazol and Coumadin are an interesting combination.
    Danazol was originally used to reduce menstrual bleeding in women and at one time to treat endometriosis ( did not work very well). It was somewhat effective in reducing bleeding in some MDS patients, improves clotting ability. Increased platelets in some.
    Coumadin is an anti coagulant. counters clotting
    Interesting combination.
    Try going to a search engine and type in Danazol and then Coumadin. Take a look at the comments.

txnmomma

Ok..Neil, this combination.. is ummm, interesting like you said.

So the Danazol..improves clotting ability- meanwhile the Coumadin is an anti coagulant. counters clotting.

now I am really puzzled at his dr’s treatment. But then again, the hematol rx’ed the Danazol and the FP rx’ed the Coumadin. I know for a fact, his hematolog knows that he is on coumadin. The hematolog was the one that ordered 4 units of plasma one Sat for a super high pro-time.

Neil

Hi Wendy,
    Do the 2 docs know what the other is prescribing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert