MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone with Very High Risk MDS and no transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone with Very High Risk MDS and no transplant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Frady
    Participant

My mom is newly diagnosed with Very High Risk MDS and she doesn’t meet criteria for a transplant.

Could you share your experience? I just really don’t know what to expect.

Nancee Noble
    Participant

Very little info on what to expect. I too, am in that position. Have been told there is nothing more they can do. I think age makes a difference on what options are available.

Donna
    Participant

WHat about the mini transplant?

Shelley Frady
    Participant

What is a mini transplant?

Donna
    Participant

Shelley…….It is also called reduced intensity transplant. I understand that up to a certain age, you still may be able to get a mini transplant when you no longer qualify for the regular transplant. My understanding is that the chemo they give you is less intense and easier for older people to tolerate. YOu can look it up or ask your doctor about it to see if you Mom is a candidate. Here is a little blurb about it:
    A mini transplant has many names:
    Reduced intensity Transplant
    non-ablative or non-myeloablative transplant,
    Non-myeloablative”, because the conditioning therapy does not fully ablate (kill off) the bone marrow myeloid cells prior to the engraftment or transplant phase of therapy.
    Donna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert