MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blast it! We have BLASTS now!!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Blast it! We have BLASTS now!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    czaring

Blasts are just showing up in my mom’s bloodwork. For 4 1/2 years since her diagnosis … they had been at 0. Now she’s just over that 5% mark. I know what blasts are and that finding them in a sample is not good. My qustions are:
    1) Does that # tend to bob up and down much? Or does it seem to steadily increase once it makes it’s appearance?
    2) Do people do relatively well for long stretches of time with a # of blasts present?
    3) Can the number hover in a low range like that for an extended period of time? Or does it tend to climb fairly quickly?
    Any light that can be shone on experience with living with blasts present in the bloodwork would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

cz

I can only tell you of my husband’s experience. We first discovered blasts in the blood of 1%. Every time he went off chemo they came back at a higher rate. When he died they were in the 90% range. It took from Sept. to March but there were 5 rounds of chemo in there to knock it back. Sorry, maybe someone else has better news.
    Bev

jaxem

cz
    I left you a message on your message board.

Bev
    good to see you back here offering your opinions and experiences. I hope you’re doing well since Barry’s passing, and also your own surgery last year. I still talk to Ricky every 2 weeks or so. His wife is doing well and at home now. Keep up with The Forum as I find it good therapy for myself & maybe you will too.

czaring

Thank you so much Jack and Bev. I VERY much appreciate hearing from the two of you. My panic has subsided a bit until mom sees her Doc tomorrow morning. She faxed the report to me and I was finally able to see that the .53 she was talking about was th/mm3. WHEW!! I thought she was looking at something that said 53% blasts. She must have just missed looking closely at the measurement. I looked over the #’s and I’m guessing she is going to hear 4% blasts. But we will see.

Thanks again!

cz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert