MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blood Transfusions at home

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Blood Transfusions at home

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melinda Johnson
    Participant

My father, who has MDS and is 88, is still able to walk, but the prognosis is a month or so. He is transfusion dependent.
    I’ve spoken with his doctor and hospice and I’m told that transfusions at home aren’t an option because hospice considers it “life prolonging” treatment.

Does anybody have any suggestions for patients who are not yet ready to forgo transfusions, but are very weak and not ready to be in hospice care?

Melinda

Shelley Frady
    Participant

I am a home health nurse and I have never known of blood being given at home. There is a service called palliative care. You can check and see if there is one local to you. If you can’t find anything some hospices provide palliative care.

Eric
    Participant

Melinda,
    I am faced with the same dilemma with my 89 YO father. He needs round the clock care because his
    low blood counts make him very weak.. The doc. want to “send him home”. There is no one there that can
    look after him and make sure he gets to the hospital for his transfusions. Medicare is no longer paying for skilled nursing care. In this condition bankruptcy, and losing his home is in the near future. I don’t know how long this will go on but the nursing home, and doctors have given up on him. Hospice states they will not do blood transfusions regularly… This system or lack there of, sickens me.

Can anyone help?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert