MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

CAR T cell therapy

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board CAR T cell therapy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LeAnn Duke
    Participant

I am 17 months post stem cell transplant and my MDS has returned. My Dr has tried to convince me to do a Donor Lymphocyte Infusion, but I am resistant to that due to the terrifying side effects and the possible GVHD complications that can result. The comment from my Dr was “it’s like playing with fire! You do t know what you’ll get.” A nurse who knows me told me, “oh, you don’t want to die like that.” I’ve had four Vidaza treatments and now the Dr says that he thinks it might not be working like he’d hoped. I have know all along that MDS is incurable and that IF treatments (including the SCT) work, at best I might have 5-6 years. If the Vidaza has stopped working then it will go into AML. he recently mentioned a clinical trial using CAR T cells(which is taking my own T cells and genetically modifying them) to see if they will be able to produce enough white blood cells to fight the abnormal cells my body is producing now, thus stopping the cancer for a bit longer. I’m wondering if anyone out ther has heard of this trial, or knows someone who has been treated for lymphoma or ALL which is what it was designed to treat! From what I can find there are articles for Drs to read, but nothing in laymen’s terms or any %’s of patients who have received it. The side effects of this are pretty scary as well, and as I haven’t been in any pain with my disease up to this point, I’m not sure I want to do anything that will make me feel worse or suffer or perhaps hasten my death. Any help would be appreciated!

mdsfound

Hi LeAnn, I would suggest getting a second opinion. Are you close to New York? There is a great MDS transplant doctor in NYC. His name is Sergio Giralt and he is at Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. If you have any further questions, please email me at ahassan@mds-foundation.org. I hope this helps.

LeAnn Duke
    Participant

Thanks for the response! I am waiting to see when they will do the next bone marrow biopsy to check the cancer cells before checking into anything else. I appreciate your advice so much!

Donna
    Participant

Hi LeAnn,
    This is the link to a webinar that is next week on CAR T-Cell therapy. I signed up for it but now realize that I have to work during those hours. I think it may be very informative.
    Donna

https://www.pathlms.com/aamdsif/webinars/4115

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert