MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Cataracts

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Cataracts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

My vision has gone down hill over that past few weeks. Cataracts weere expected sometime as a probable side effect of total body radiatioon, chemo and other long term drugs, like pregnosone. I just had not expected it this soom and inteeense. I need a magnifying glass to read even the large print on the computer. That, along with sore hands and decreased ability to cncentrate has made it difficult to be active in the froum. Hopefully, that will change drastically this week. Monday, I will have surgury done on the worst eye and within a week the other eye. I understand it is very low risk with usaully reat results.

Suzanne

Jimbob, hope the surgery helps! even without have the radiation,I have had very minor forms of several things that you mention. Decreased ability to concentrate and sometime the world is just a little “out of focus”. Not enough to impair my functioning as long as I am not dealing with trying to learn new things or too many things at once with interruptions. I finish the zarnestra trial in a week then my Dr. says he thinks these things will improve in anywhere from weeks to several months. I drove my opthamoligist and optometrist crazy at first thinking there was a problem with my glasses. I also find I have to put everything back exactly where it belongs every time I pull something out or I spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to remember where I put it. I sometimes feel that I am walking in circles because I start to do something and get diverted very easily.

Marsha

Suzanne,

I have the same problem except I will be talking and all of sudden I forget what I was going to say. Then wake up in middle of night and remember. Some people say it’s age I know different which is why I am in no hurry to return to work until this gets better. I’m a Medical Assistant and working for a doctor and remembering things is a plus at my job. I hope it does get back to normal so I can start thinking about working again.

Jim
    I have had some vision changes too, but not cataracts tho I had to get stronger glasses for reading but driving and distant vision is still OK. Good luck, I know this surgery is relatively simple these days. My prayers are with you.

Suzanne

Marsha, When I mention this all my friends say they have the same problems(age) but I know it is more severe then normal aging. My doc’s say it is pretty typical-told me to wait several months after the end of the zarnestra and then have my eyes rechecked. I tried doing much simpler work then I used to-24 hours a week in January, then 15 hours a week in February. Now I am down to 6-8 hours in the evening each week when things are slower just so I get out and see people. I have been home or in the hospital for over 2 years and am getting a bit restless.luckily I have a friend who owns the company that let me experiment with what I could do. With the higher hours I got confused and frustrated and made mistakesand i forgot to do things at home(like pay bills). I had to recheck everything I did 2-3 times and make my own check lists because I just could not remember what people told me to do. I also find that when I read I can only keep track of the major characters. Whether the details about the minor ones are just not absorbed in my brain.
    a friend of mine who had a BMT over 5 years ago told me it took over a year for things to settle down.

Neil

My hemo has me going to an opthamologist once a year for sure and more often if there are any vision problems.
    Have had flashing lights in the outer corners of each eye on ocassion. Turned out to be the fluid/gel receeding in my eyes. a common event with age. This leaves some “floaters” (black spots ) slowly moving around the fielsd of vision. BUT the flashing can also be an indication of a detached retina.
    Also get some blurred vision when I get tired, later in the day.
    Am sure some of the drugs we are taking contribute to some vision problems in varying degrees for each person.
    Age also had its vision pitfalls. Have the first vestiges of diabetic retinopathy. This was a bit of a shock, but the doc said it was a normal occurance in one at my age and has had diabetes as long as I have.
    Also some traces of cataracts, same explaination with respect to age. Would probably be at the same stage without MDS.
    My hemo insists I contact him on any vision issues so he can get me a priority appointment with the opthamologist. He as some concerns with my platelet level at 7000.
    Just more isues that go with the MDS territory.
    Jimbob, will be pulling for a good result with your surgery!! Hope you bounce back quickly.

geebeebee

Hi Jimbob, best of luck with the surgery. My Dad recently had his removed, and it’s amazing how the process has been eased since my Grandmother had hers out back in the 80’s. I’m sure when it’s done, you’ll be thrilled with the improved vision!

Greg

gemloyear

Jimbob,My husband had one eye corrected 8 years ago nd didn’t need to wear glasses until recently. Still hasn’t needed to have the other done yet. Do you take any artheritis meds? My husband just started a new one, Arava it seems to help. the doc said it would probaley take about 4 weeks before it kicks in. He is still on prednisone and takes hydrocodone for pain. Good luck with the surgery and be sure to follow directions carefully. You will surely have eye strain from reading all your posts, have you got a magnifying glass? Take care Ellie

Jimbob

Ellie,
    I do read with a 8x magnifying glaaaass on top of having the computer set for largest print. I can only read a few words at a time and have trouble keeping the lines in order as I move the lens back and forth, It is not just the size of the print, but the words are fuxxy or parts seem to be missing. And this is NOT the result of aging. It is too early and went too fast. Docs did say total body radiatioooon would have up to 90% probability of cataracts within 5 years, chemo about the same and even prednisone adds to likelihood of early cataracts. The surgury is easy, with very little risk and very high probability of excellent results. I can hardly wait for Monday!

Jimbob

Ellie,
    did my wife and I meet you and Glen during the summer of 2003 We RV’d from Portland to Chicago and back and did meet a delightful couple in one of the parks.
    Jim

gemloyear

I don’t think we were there in 2003, possibly in winter.We were in 2002, as my daughter worked there for a year.We met a fellow,retired dentist in New Orleans at a convention ,who was from PORTLAND.WE had a young air force dentist who lived with us for 2 years while station at our local air force base.His dad was a thorasic doc in Portland, the dr. we met in New Orleans knew both.We have met some interesting people while traveling. We took a trip to Washington state in 2002, to revisit the yakima valley where Glen’s family once lived.We went over to Portland, up the coast, and over to Vancouver, B.C. Beautful country. We miss traveling,but Glen’s doc told him not to drive any distance anymore since his stroke , so now we rely on our adult children to drive us when we take a trip. The travling gives us something to look forward to.We,are not ready to give up anything yet, we’re still young at heart. YOu will be amazed at the reults of your surgery.Best wishes. Ellie & Glen

mommachkate

JIm, Best of luck with your eyesurgery. Kate

sarah

Jimbob, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

shirlsgirl

Good luck tomorrow Jimbob!! Too bad they couldn’t do both eyes on the same day. The flowers this spring will look especially beautiful.
    Thinking of you, Jody

Jimbob

I had the catareact removed from my right eye Monday. The prep was MUCH longer than the surgury. It was about 6 minutes! Everything seems to be going ell. It is already healing and I can see much more clearly out of it than I remember except for close up. I will likely need glasses for reading. Left ey will be done next Monday. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.
    Jim

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert