MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Charlie's surgery

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Charlie's surgery

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gemloyear

Sarah,How is Charlie after his surgery? I hope he is doing well, I know the first few days after are difficult. We will be praying for an excellant recovery. Please post when you can.
    our thoughts & prayers for you both,
    Ellie& Glen

sarah

Hi Ellie, thanks for asking. We just got home from hospital a few hours ago. It was a long 5 days in hospital. The first 3 days were extremely difficult. Surgery took longer than expected. Charlie’s spleen weighed over 4 lbs. This was tougher than we had expected. Recovery will take some time. He is very weak and sore, which is to be expected. I never left him once this week. His temp also became a issue, getting to 102.6 then falling to 101 the next morning. Its been a tough week, but glad its over and hope we see an increase in counts. Charlie required 4 units of red blood prior to surgery, and platelets after surgery. Surgeon did inform us day after surgery the hospitals blood bank made an error. Only 3 of the units of blood was filtered and irradiated. One was not. Hope this is not an issue for him. Any thoughts on this? I plan to take a few more days off to be with him. He needs help sitting, standing and walking and bathing. It took awhile for his bladder and bowels to start working. This has made him quite bloated. Also, this past friday we got a call in the hospital from University of Minnesota informing us they found two 4 of 6 match of cordblood for Charlie. We have an appointment in 2 weeks to fly out there for consultation.

Harold

Sarah, I am grateful that Charlie is on the road to recovery. I hope this surgery will make a big difference and improve the blood counts. Good luck on your trip to Minnesota; hopefully this will be a good option for Charlie.

Sandy L

Good luck Sarah. Why do you have to go to Minnesota? I do hpe that Charlie recovers quickly and his blood numbers go back up.

Terri

Sara,Thinking of you and Charlie, Hope your trip to Minn goes well, Keeping you both in my prayers. I hope he starts feeling better.

shirlsgirl

Hi Sarah,

Hope Charlie’s feeling better soon. Good luck in Minnesota..hope you hear some promising news! Thinking of you both.

Take care,

Jody

Kathryn

Sarah, I am glad to know that all went well w/ Charlie’s surgery. I know someone whose mother had her spleen removed and it made quite a positive difference for her. I am wishing the best for Charlie.

Best of luck for your trip to Minnesota.

Take good care & hang in there!

Kathryn

gemloyear

Sarah, Have you read Doreen’s posts re: her cord blood transplant? Very imformative, worth contemplating when you are considering this procedure.Best wishes with your decision.
    Ellie

sarah

Yes I have Elle, very informative, thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert