MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Chemo for MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Chemo for MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Carole Tirico
    Participant

Hello Alma – just wondering how you are doing?
    I have been in the hospital since Sunday 7/14/19 – platelet count went down to 1 – have been getting transfusions – hopefully counts will come up. Feel like crap – never been so sick in my life. Hope you are doing alright.

Carole

Alma Pancir
    Participant

Dear Carole: I too am in the same situation. Just got out of the hospital after 5 days because I had a different condition due to the loss of left diaphragm a few years ago, so after the 4th injection my oxygen levels went way down, I got a respiratory infection and my white cells and all else went down. Just had 3 booster shots for white cells and hope I can get a transfusion as I am now on oxygen 24/7. Don’t think I can continue with this plus my age is a big factor..I know my doctor is disappointed but I tried. I have been thinking of you and praying that you will come through this victoriously.

Alma Pancir
    Participant

Dear Carole: After the 4th injection of Vidasa, my breathing was affected and I needed oxygen. This may have resulted in a previous condition of a collapsed left diaphragm. I spent 5 days in the hospital and now require the oxygen 24/7. My blood levels went way down. I received 3 injections for WBC and one for RBC. Platlets are at 50. I chose not to continue the chemo.

Carole Tirico
    Participant

Carole passed on July 23 @ 7 pm She was in the hosp 2 days after cemo. Dr’s seemed to be more interested in a little fluid she had around her heart than her blood problem. little by little she faded away. I just had to get on here and post. Make sure you know what they are giving you each time.

Alma Pancir
    Participant

My heart is so saddened to hear of Carole Tirico’s passing. I was hoping that one day we could meet and compare notes of our progress. I too ended up in the hospital after only 4 injections of Vidasa. Somehow, it attacked my already compromised lung and I am on oxygen 24/7 now. I opted out of the chemo against my doctor’s wishes, but I wish quality time not quantity. I have received injections to boost my immune system. So far no need for a transfusion. My age is a big factor here. Hows wonderful it would be if there were a holistic cure for MDS.

Angel Londonio
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

My name is Angel and my mom was recently diagnosed with MDS low risk but after few months,doctor said it has progressed to high risk and might be AML already.

She’s now on her second day of chemo DECITABINE.
    hand in hand with blood and platelet transfusion.
    so far no side effects

Im so happy I found this group

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert