MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Chills

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Gallos Schmid
    Participant

Hi All,

My 80 yr old father has been in and out of the Hospital since May 5th. They did a bone marrow test and he was just diagnosed yesterday with MDS.

For the last few weeks he has been feeling icky, Stating he is getting night sweats and then during the day he gets the CHILLS so bad he shakes and can not get warm for over 1 1/2 hrs. Its seems to be getting worse. All his blood cultures are coming back negative for infection. I am totally new to this so really dont know alot about this disease.

His hemoglobin was 7.6 so they transfused him last night. His white blood count is 1.6 or 1600, they say he is nutropenic (cant fight infection).

The thing that bothers him the most are the everlasting chills, they come everyday about the same time and last for 1 1/2 hours. Then he is completely wiped out for 2 – 3 hours. If anyone can give me any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

mdsfound

Dear Lisa, Chills are caused by muscles contracting and relaxing rapidly. This occurs when the body is trying to generate heat, in order to raise the body’s core temperature. This can occur when the body has low hemoglobin levels – a protein that is found in red blood cells. A common symptom of this condition is chills without a fever. Accompanying symptoms may include pale complexion, fatigue, chest pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, and headaches.

I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you take him to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. He has options and I don’t want to see him undertreated. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. We also have a wonderful information program called the Building Blocks of Hope which we can send you via postal mail. If this is something that you would be interested in, please forward your mailing address to patientliaison@mds-foundation.org. In the meantime, you can also view this video https://www.mds-foundation.org/bboh/. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by mdsfound.

Chills,
    I have MDS and I am 66 yrs old,also. I had exactly what your father has at the moment. The sweats by night and the chills by day. I had an infection in my fourth toe it was severe bone infection. I received an antibiotic for 30 days. Also, 2 blood infusions. After that was done the chills and the sweats started up. I know the chills were so bad I had every blanket and heating pad I have on the bed. The symptoms are gone now but I never found an answer to the cause.
    But I think because my hemoglobin was low like your fathers had something to do with it. Not one doctor could tell me.
    It lasted about 4 weeks and then vanished. I hope your fathers symptoms vanish also.

Deborah
    Participant

Hi. I get those chills without fever. A blood transfusion seems to work wonders. In the meantime, I have a very large deluxe heating pad that I keep nearby or on me on LOW!

Lisa Gallos Schmid
    Participant

Thank you. We actually do have an appointment with Dr Steven Allen. I did see that he was on your list so I am very thankful for that. Thank you for all the helpful information.

Dann Blenkinstoff
    Participant

Hi Lisa, my dad also has this problem. From what I understand, the chills are a result of the anemia? Like Deborah experienced, my guess is the transfusions help boost blood numbers and reducing the chilling effect.

jenny singh
    Participant

You may have never seen such a website for the hacks for roblox online where you all can get the free robux generator.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert