MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Clinical trials

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Clinical trials

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Beth Stanaland
    Participant

Who has participated in a clinical trial? Who has refused? Thoughts?

rar
    Participant

I had a clinical trial for an IDH2 mutation. In two months it lowered my blasts from 15% to 2% which allowed my successful transplant. I also participated in 5 other trials.

Ray

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by .
    Donna
    Participant

Wow, Ray….5 trials. Does your doctor recommend the trials? Donna

Jack Millward
    Participant

I have been asked to participate in a clinical trial S1612. Three parts (A,B,C). Part C involves a Flip 3 component which I do not have. If I draw this part, they still want me to participate. Side affects are most severe. Why would I want to do this?

rar
    Participant

A person participates in a clinical trial in the hope that they will get a novel treatment that will help with their treatment or will help others. I have participated the latter mainly because the former helped. I am on a drug that won FDA approval on a single trial of 42 people, so a few can make a big difference. Also consider the consent forms say that you are allowed to stop your participation at any time without giving a reason. I opted out of one without a problem.

Cecile Huston
    Participant

I have been in a clinical trial since June 2017 when I started treatment, I have 2 of the clinical trial drugs and 7 Vidaza each 28 day cycle, I am in remission right now, I do have another bone marrow biopsy (my 6th) today so that will tell if I am still in remission, I did the trial so that perhaps it would help me as well as those after me. I am RIPSS 6.5 VERY HIGH RISK. I figured I had nothing to lose, I am now on an antibiotic daily as 6 people died out of 21 on the trials, although none from the drugs, and all in the 1st 3 months, they died from heart attacks, infections etc. I feel it was the right decision for me. I do have to stay on treatment to stay alive as we all know, treatment is not a cure. Only a bone marrow transplant is and that is too risky for me at 75. Life is good. People tell me I don’t look sick, and I tell them I am not sick, I have cancer. I do everything I did before, garden, estate sales, cook. etc, but just slower. For me this works.

Donna
    Participant

Cecile……….beautiful post!!

Jack Millward
    Participant

Just found out I am in group A of trial. Start treatment Thursday with Vidaza drug. If I am 4% blasts or lower, in 6 months they want to do a bone marrow replacement. I am currently 10.5%. Is the replacement normal or too risky?

diana
    Participant

Can I ask how old are you? Less than 65 or older? Age is one factor determines what kind of bone marrow transplant one may get.

Chris Ballmer
    Participant

I signed up for a list group and they thought I qualified for a nipple surgery recovery program…

https://www.researchmatch.org/login/

Beware of what you sign up for, do your homework.

Paul Dyer
    Participant

I was diagnosed in July 2018 with high risk poor outcome multiple mutations including TP53. I am a 50 y/o man in excellent shape at time of diagnosis. I immediately started a trial of APR246 & Azacitidine. After 2 months my blasts went from 9% to less than 1%. I then had reduced intensity allo transplant, with a trial of Venetoclax pre transplant.
    I am currently at day +83 and looking forward to my day 100 bone marrow test with both hope and severe anxiety.

Paul Dyer
    Participant

Hi Donna,
    I am 50 y/o male, diagnosed with high risk poor outcome, multiple mutations, including TP53.
    I participated in 2 clinical trials pre transplant. The 1st was with a drug called APR246 & Azacitidine. The 2nd trial was 1 week of a drug called venetoclax, just before transplant.
    I am at day +109 now. I am praying these trials keep me from relapse, which is very common with TP53.
    Best wishes!
    Paul

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert