MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Confused about CBC blasts

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Confused about CBC blasts

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    katiebear

Linda,

My dad has RAEB2 and transformed to AML in March. I know his blasts increased pretty fast, and rising blasts are a sign of AML. I’m not sure what’s going on with your mom, I just thought I would let you know what happened to my dad.

Katie

camiboxer

My dad had an appt yesterday with his hemo. His CBC did not list any blasts……WE ASKED about this since I had previously read this particular thread.
    We were told that HIS CBC would indeed show blasts percentages *IF* any were in the blood. If none were it would not be listed as 0% but nothing would be listed at all. Depends on the lab & if the Dr. calls for a count of those numbers.
    Happy to report that dad did not have any.

Bluyz1966

Moms are up to 7% as of yesterday. Steady rising. Going to ask for 2nd opinion.

Linda

Monica Meyer

Dear Patti,

Really appreciate all the information and help you have given us on this forum. Since Oct. 2003 I have had many blood tests and transfusions and never had a blast report. Had two BMB’s at Mayo Clinic, one at Cornell-Weill-NYC and one in a doctor’s office in 2003. Only in these reports did I hear about my blasts. Good question for the convention in Las Vegas.

Was planning to go but have an ear infection so think I must cancel. Thanks again for all your good information for us.

Monica

Jack_dup1

Monica,
    Are you talking about blasts in the marrow or blasts in the blood, a BMB would show marrow blasts, that does not necessarily mean blasts in the blood. My CBC only shows blast counts if there are some present in the blood, if not, it is not mentioned.
    Other have had different experiences where blasts are not shown unless a manual differential is requested, sometimes not even then, mine are always requested.
    Jack

Monica Meyer

Dear Jack,
    I am talking about blasts in the marrow which is very important to know. Sorry, but until I started reading this information the other day I did not know about blasts in the blood. In all the blood tests I have had since 2003 I never had the amount of blasts in my blood listed on my CBC–guess I don’t have any. Maybe St. Vincent’s Cancer Center in New York City is incompetent for not giving that information. It is a ray of sunshine to go there and the people are wonderful. Dr. Raza will be there in October.

Really grateful that we have a Patti on this forum to help us with the many questions we have about MDS. Thanks again very much, Patti.
    Monica

Zoe

Question: Would blasts in the blood show up on an automated count, or only manual? Just curious.

Zoe

Jack_dup1

Zoe,
    There are others more informed, but it really depends on where you are tested, I get a manual differential at my local Hosp every Friday and have never had blasts shown, I go to Univ. of Neb Med. Center monthly and have blasts listed if they are present, I don’t believe they will show up on an automated count.
    Jack

Monica Meyer

This is t notify others that Micki Meyer passed away Sept. 3, 2008. I am her brother, unfamiliar with the correct procedure in sending informa-
    tion. She truly appreciated all the wonderful comments provided on this site, helped her remain positive through her brave bout with this disease.

R. Meyer

choijk

R.,
    I am sorry to hear about your sister’s passing. It is never easy to lose a loved one. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert