MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Culturelle for C. Diff and Mouth ulcers

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Culturelle for C. Diff and Mouth ulcers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PamJ

Hi Everyone – thanks again for your great advice and support! I just got back in town and am going to check about getting Dad an appt at Vanderbilt.

Now….I don’t know if this is an option for those with C. Diff, but thought it might be worth mentioning and you can at least check with your doctors. I have autoimmune problems (still think autoimmune MUST be hereditary)..anyways…at one point I was having diarrhea anywhere from 8-15 times a day and it lasted for 18 days. Doctors were not really able to help and so I began my never ending journey researching on the internet. I kept coming back to the articles on culturelle…(this is a Probiotic rather than an antibiotic…good bacteria which forms a barrier to keep bad bacteria out. One capsule has 10billion cells of lactobacillus which is far better than yogurt). It cleared up my diarrhea after 2 or 3 days of taking 2 capsules daily! This was like a miracle to me – I had gotten so weak and depressed! This is not a prescription…the only place I could find that carried it is Walgreen’s and it runs around $20 for 30 capsules. I still take one capsule daily to keep bad bacteria at bay and with my doctor’s blessing!

Sorry this was so long….hopefully, it can help those of you with good bacteria/bad bacteria problems. Also, this helps with the mouth ulcers you get from taking different antibiotics!

I’ll keep you posted on what Dad’s doctor says about his MDS and I hope to find out what type MDS and the risk level thanks to your posts!

Pam

Dad (80)MDS / WBC 3.0 / GRAN 1.8 / RBC 4.7 / HGB 12.0 / HCT36.8% / RDW 23.1% / PLT 49

Donna

Hi Pam,

Autoimmune disorders are hereditary. According to my family Dr anyway. It’s quite common for various types of autoimmune disorders to run through the family. Mom had MDS – 1 sister has lupus, another sister is currently going through testing because something is out of whack. As a child I had a blood disorder that they were never able to diagnose, hasn’t bothered me since I was young.
    Anyway – interesting.

Take Care,
    Donna

PamJ

Hi Donna –

As crazy as this sounds, I have never been told by a doctor that autoimmune disorders are hereditary…though, what I have read indicates that is so. I also begin testing with a rheumatologist this week and have a feeling that autoimmune is again in the picture for me.

Perhaps I’ll learn more along the way with this journey of Dad’s with MDS. I’m just really thankful to have found this site as I’m learning so much…

Thanks!
    Pam

Suzanne

I was told that at there has been no evidence of MDS being inherited-maybe other types of autoimmune problems are. My understanding is that when there is a problem with MDS in more then one family member it is more likely that they were all exposed to the same chemical that could cause the problem.

Donna

Hi Suzanne;
    That’s what I was told as well. The MDS itself has not been proven to be inherited, however, if a member of the family has been diagnosed with MDS, chances of other family members having some sort of autoimmune disorders are quite high. For instance, Mom had MDS, in our situation, my sister has lupus, another sister something else (not sure what she has yet). Or could be arthritis anything in the family of autoimmune disorders, I’m sure there are many we have no idea what they all are. For our family, it has proven to be true. My Dr. has recommed yearly blood work for me.

Take care,
    Donna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert