MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad met with his doctor yesterday and…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad met with his doctor yesterday and…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

Revlimid may be an option for him but not until the end of the year. Not sure why he can’t have it now and he’s not very good at asking questions sometimes. I’m going to find out more. He wants me to do some research.

He got some blood and platelets. His Hemoglobin was at 8 (transfuse at 7) but the doctor asked him how he felt and he said he was tired. So she let him get some blood.

He’s also seeing his VA doctors today to discuss some of the medications that they have him on. These meds may be causing his white counts to stay so low.

Dad reads into everything because he’s kind of waiting to hear them say he’s dying. I can’t quite understand where he’s coming from but I feel bad for him. He said his doctor is usually pretty straightforward and not usually really compassionate (a lot of doctors I’ve seen are … guess they learn to be that way) but this time, she was really gentle with him. He read that as she felt sorry for him and was being kind to a dying man. Whoa! Where’d he get that from? She hasn’t told him to go home and give up the fight. I personally think that it just took some time for her to warm up to him and maybe she sensed his need for some gentleness?

Anyway, thanks for listening,
    Carrie smile

ButchL
    Participant

Carrie:

I know Dr. Wang and she was the same with my wife. At first, all business. It did take her a while to warm up. I am sure there is nothing to read into it.

Take care,
    Butch

Carrie

Butch,

Thanks for verifying that with me smile . I’ll let him know what you said. Of course, it’s up to him if he wants to make it a positive or a negative thing.

I’m going to Buffalo on June 18th for a week. I’ll let you know what’s up smile .

Thanks,
    Carrie

Terri

Carrie, Hope your Dad starts Feeling better, Sometimes Bob will feel like things are quite right until after we see the doctor and he confirms it. We have a very aggressive dr and a very to the Point dr and we really like that he is so up front with us.

Keeping your Dad in my prayers

we are also in Buffalo… and my husband at this time is in Roswell… he has been there since last Thurs… he went in with a fever and they can’t find out why… this is very frustrating… he has had every test they could think to find it… possible a bad tooth now…
    he was suppose to get started on some kind of treatment soon but I guess this is delayed now…
    We saw Dr Wang when he was first diagnosed and she made us feel like we did something wrong… she did see him this last week and was much better but I think that’s cause we were better prepared…
    My husband likes his Doctors at Roswell and at the VA Medical… I just feel like they don’t have answers and it makes me nervous…
    Carrie you should try to come here on Friday June 17th there is a Gelatin Splash at the Marriott… I’ve heard it is alot of fun… it is put on by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society…
    we are looking forward to going…

Carrie

Di,

I’m not going to be in Buffalo until the 18th so I’ll miss the jello splash! My mom works there but she’s having her surgery on the 17th so she’ll miss it, too!

My dad has been in the hospital twice with a fever. Both times, they never really found the cause but they did get it down. It’s really usual for him to get one from time to time (it seems). It’s terrifying but at least he’s in good hands (as is your husband).

Everyone,

Dad’s VA doctor took him off one of his medicines and they’re giving it 6 weeks to see if it brings his white counts back up. When it’s up, then he can start treatments again (not sure what yet).

Thanks for listening,
    Carrie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert