MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad update

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

He apparently hasn’t had a fever since before he got to the hospital yesterday but had to have 1 unit of blood yesterday and 2(!!!) today.

Why so much blood? frown

Well, his doctor will hopefully stop by today.

KP2112

Hi Carrie,

It is good that he is being monitored. I am not sure why your Dad needed 3 pts of blood but it will make him feel better and help him fight off the bad bacteria.

I remember when my Dad was in the hospital, his hemoglobin was at 4.7. He was in for over a week and needed about 9-10 pts. After that he felt a lot better.

Take care,
    Karen

Carrie

9-10 pints! It amazes me what these patients go through. I nearly faint just giving one pint of blood let alone receiving it, going for bi-weekly blood counts, receiving chemo and other therapies. I guess that the AA-MDS bracelets are right … they are “brave.”

KP2112

Carrie,

They are so brave. Although it was over a period of a about two weeks. He used to go each week after that because his hgb would keep falling. That is when we went to the Princess Margaret Haospital and they said he had RAEB-T. He was given valproic acid and since he has been going about every three weeks now. I pray it keeps up. They only thing is he seems to be lossing weight and I don’t like that.

Take care,
    Karen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert