MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dandelion root tea as a treatment for CMML

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dandelion root tea as a treatment for CMML

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    katelovesdad
    Participant

Hi all,

My Dad started getting nosebleeds in the summer of 2015 and was diagnosed with CMML type 1 in April 2016. He was doing really well up until a few weeks ago, except for breathlessness, and has been on EPO injections since diagnosis.

About a month ago I read online that there was a study underway in Canada to see whether dandelion root tea could cure CMML. You can google it and you will see reports of one Canadian patient who drank the tea and went into remission. The tea has been tested in petri dishes and was seen to kill the leukaemic cells within 48 hours without harming normal cells. And, thereafter, it also proved effective in animal tests. It is now being tested on humans in clinical trials. When I read this, i thought it sounded really promising and was very excited. When we mentioned it to my Dads consultant she laughed and acted like it was a load of rubbish. We asked her if there could be any harm in at least trying it alongside the EPO she said she didn’t think it would have any effect at all.

We started buying raw organic dandelion root tea in tea bags (although they are using real roots in the clinical trials and processing them in the lab). My Dad started taking it a few weeks ago. About a week ago, we had a really busy week and he was out of the house walking around a lot and getting tired. When he went for his blood test, his haemoglobin levels had plummeted and he was rushed in for a blood transfusion – his first one. I don’t know if it was the tea or the walking which caused his condition to deteriorate. I am actually really disappointed that it has scared him and he has stopped taking the tea for now. I just want to know – has anyone else tried this tea and seen any effects, positive or negative?

Thanks,

Kate

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by katelovesdad.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Kate, Thank you for your post with information regarding your father’s health. I do not have any information as to how dandelion root tea affects the bone marrow and blood cells. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you take him to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. He should be very carefully assessed before undergoing any treatment. Benefits versus risk analysis should be done with any treatment.

Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. We also have a wonderful information program called the Building Blocks of Hope which we can send you via postal mail. If this is something that you would be interested in, please forward your mailing address. In the meantime, you can also view this video https://www.mds-foundation.org/bboh/. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert