MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

dental care, hernia repair?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board dental care, hernia repair?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    walt smith
    Participant

My Hemo strongly advises me against having my teeth cleaned and having one filling administered. The dangers of infection strongly outweigh any benes. Anybody out there care to join in? Same reason given for the hernia mesh implant.

I’m getting Vidaza monthly, March 2017 – March 2018. My April dates have been set.

Thx!

Walt

Donna
    Participant

Hi…………I have only been diagnosed with pre-MDS and my doctor has me take an antibiotic when I have my teeth cleaned. I’m sure it is because your WBC must be too low to chance the infection you could get from the bacteria in the mouth. That’s my thought.

mdsfound

Patients with MDS should contact their hematologist before scheduling dental procedures or surgeries. Because neutropenia or thrombocytopenia can develop during the course of MDS, you could be at risk for serious infection or excessive bleeding during or after dental procedures or surgery. Your hematologist should work with your dentist or surgeon to decide whether you need antibiotics to prevent infection, or whether one or more platelet transfusions or additional medications might help to reduce the risk of bleeding. In the case of a patient requiring a platelet transfusion, it may be prudent for the transfusion to be given the morning of the procedure, since platelets don’t survive long. Certain medications can be given as a swish and spit solution to help form blood clots if there is excessive bleeding in the mouth. If inpatient or outpatient surgery is required, ask your hematologist whether the risk of a procedure or surgery outweighs the potential benefits. If this is the case, your physician will tell you the concerns and discuss the alternatives. For example, if you were to undergo an elective dental procedure, such as routine teeth cleaning, with a very low platelet count, the potential risk of substantial bleeding would likely outweigh potential benefits.

walt smith
    Participant

Anybody know of an MDS clinical trial in northern Virginia?

Thanks!

walt smith
    Participant

Our families & Friends mean well, but do these “meds” – all sold OTC – help us at all?

1. Onion Seeds
    2. Turmeric Curcumin Complex, and
    3. Whole Body Turmeric Extra

???

Thank you, Walt Smith

walt smith
    Participant

Our families & Friends mean well, but do these “meds” – all sold OTC – help us at all?

1. Onion Seeds
    2. Turmeric Curcumin Complex, and
    3. Whole Body Turmeric Extra

???

Thank you, Walt Smith

mdsfound

Hi Walt, Not too long ago, we had an oncology dietician speak at one of our events. If you email me at patientliaison@mds-foundation.org, I can provide you with her notes and presentation. In addition, we include nutrition information in our Building Blocks of Hope resource.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert