MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Diet for MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Diet for MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Moorefield
    Participant

I have been diagnosed with MDS for about 4 months now. I immediately started researching ways to improve my health naturally through the foods I ate to enhance my chances of remission. [taking Revlimid now as well]
    Iron absorption seemed to be of the highest importance so I have pretty much cut out any foods or drink that inhibit iron absorption. I juice almost all my vegetables and fruits. No breads, or starchy carbs. No tea or coffee. After 2.5 months of this and 1 round of Revlimid, I raised my Hgb from 6.7 to 8.0!!
    I have found almost no information on the internet regarding diets for MDS patients. The dietician at my cancer center did not have much to offer me either. So I am interested in knowing what others are doing that affects their condition positively. Or offer places to look on the internet with diet recommendations.
    Thanks! Mike

tam
    Participant

Hi Mike. I was diagnosed just over five years ago. I try to follow a strict diet that I laid out in an earlier post. Rather than explain again, here’s how to get to my earlier post on diet. Go to the search bar and type in the word “salmon”. Scroll down to the second entry where I explain my typical daily diet. My numbers have been stable for five years. That doesn’t prove that the diet is working, but I feel great and have a lot of energy.
    TAM

anges
    Participant

Wow Tam, five years is a long time ago. Good to read that you are doing so wel. My mother is diagnosed since end of september and Monday she will start with Vidaza. I pray to God it will work on her and she will do well like you. My mother is 77 years old and besides mds she also has diabetes. This whole month she has been with me and I pay a lot of attention to what she eats cause we try to get her off the meds eventually. I also make tea out of papaja leafs for her and a lot of bitter vegetables. No bread, rice, corn and pasta. I am going to look your daily diet up. Blessings to everyone here.

Laurence Herman
    Participant

Hallo Tam
    I was not able to read your strict diet plan and tried with the search bar with “salmon”no Luck
    can post your diet plan
    I also have a low red blood count and have been trying different foodstuffs which could help me
    with my mds
    Thanks in advance

tam
    Participant

Here’s my previous post Laurence. Let me know if you have questions. TAM

First the foods that are in my diet everyday.
    Breakfast: organic steel-cut oatmeal, smoothie (Fage 0% fat Greek plain yogurt, organic frozen blueberries and organic frozen strawberries, banana, rounded tsp of organic black raspberry powder, almond milk) and piece of 100% multi-grain toast.
    Lunch: homemade soup (either broccoli, red lentil, split pea, cauliflower, 13-bean, vegetable, green pepper, southwest corn & potato, vegetable sumbar, mulligatawny), tbs of chia seed and tbs of ground flax seed mixed in 8 oz water, quinoa w/crushed walnuts and drizzle of lemon juice, unsalted walnuts and unsalted almonds.
    Afternoon snack: 20 oz. homemade juice made from organic ingredients (carrots, beet, spinach, kale, cucumber, apple, ginger, turmeric).
    Dinner: wild caught Alaskan salmon (twice per week), chicken breast no-skin (once per week), various other meals that emphasize legumes, beans, vegetables, rice or whole wheat pasta, and spices particularly Indian spices.
    Early evening: papaya tea (organic papaya leaves), four oz. of organic tart cherry juice mixed with equal parts water.

There are some rules that we follow in our cooking such as no oil, no butter, no added table salt, zero sodium or low sodium cooking ingredients, no added sugar, no dairy other than zero fat greek yogurt at bkfst, whole wheat or multi-grain pastas and bread, and all organic fruits and vegetables.

I’ve read a lot about diet and health through the years and especially since being diagnosed. My diet is a combination of other diets and includes most designated “superfoods.” While this diet may sound boring I find it very tasty. I consume a significant amount of food each day and maintain my weight at 155 lbs (5’10.5″).

My daily exercise includes the following: bicycling (indoor or outdoor), pushups, step-ups, arm curls, handstands, speed skating and stretching. My daily routine takes 2-3 hours.

Currently my doctors have me in “wait & see” mode. I am convinced the only way to put off the inevitable is to stay as healthy as possible through diet and exercise.

Laurence Herman
    Participant

Hi Tam
    Thanks for your quick reply
    Ive started watching my diet recently and up till now have not notice any improvements
    Ive cut out coffee, Black Tea and all alcohol (which was the odd glas of wine)
    my last blood results were HB 8,6 worse than 6 months before at 9,7
    I think my diet could be the cause of this drop so i will try to eat a similar diet you have had success
    with and see what happens
    thanks again

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert