MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dorry's illnes

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dorry's illnes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dorry

#1 Dorry’s illness
    I’m Dorry’s husband and I would like to thank you all for your kind words and support during those days while she was hospitalized. I reported that Dorry died on November 27, 2004 not of MDS or of the fractures she went in for. She contacted the hospital super germ VRE (Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci ), I believe she had another germ called C-Diff, Which there is no antibiotic that can contain either germ, sometimes a combination can. I wrote to all of the media and anyone that could help me get the word out that this is an epidemic. I received only one reply and that was Montel Williams Show and they sent me a form letter. The Wall Street Journal had an article in last week about infections in hospitals, they did not mention VRE. I wrote them a letter as of yet I did not get a reply. The doctors told me because of her immune system was low that they are having a hard time finding a combination of antibiotics to arrest the VRE germ. After fifty seven days of agony for her she died quietly.
    #2Below is an article written by Dr. Donahue that I found in a local newspaper.

#3 SUPERGERMS A HOSPITAL MENACE
    DEAR DR. DONOHUE: I have a friend who’s been hospitalized with something called VRE. One of the nurses told me that this disease is often fatal. What the devil is VRE, and how is it treated? Is it contagious? How common is it? His friends and family are worried sick. — B.S.
    ANSWER: The E of VRE is enterococcus, a bacterium found in soil, water and the large intestine of animals and humans. Most of the time it remains in those places without creating trouble. However, in hospitalized patients, who are poked, prodded and invaded with all sorts of devices, the enterococcus can escape from its natural niche and find its way to places it should not be — the bladder, the kidney, the blood, heart valves and many other sites. In those places it does cause trouble. It has always been a pesky germ and difficult to treat, often requiring two antibiotics, but now it has assumed even greater notoriety.
    In 1988, in France, an enterococcus appeared that did not respond to the usual antibiotics and was resistant to vancomycin, the antibiotic held in reserve for the most stubborn enterococcus infections. That is VRE, vancomycin-resistant enterococcus. It’s a supergerm. In the 16 years since its discovery, it has spread worldwide, and treating it has become a major headache. Newer antibiotics, such as linezolid, and novel combinations of older antibiotics can usually gain the upper hand over VRE infections.
    When visiting a VRE-infected patient, people might have to wear a gown and gloves so they don’t pick up the germ and spread it to vulnerable people — the elderly and those whose immune systems are impaired. The visitors, however, are not in great danger of coming down with a VRE infection.
    Such infections are not common outside the hospital. They are relatively common within hospitals. Depending on where the infection has settled, VRE can be fatal. A heart valve infection, for example, could lead to death. Most infections are treatable and curable, difficult as that might be.

#4 I wanted to pass this along to alert you that this a real threat. If your loved ones develop a fever while in the hospital or after a visit to a doctors office, don’t wait get someone that will listen to you and help you find the cause.
    Thank you.
    Jack Conway

sarah

Jack, thank you so much for passing this information our way. We appreciate the update. I pray you are doing well. Thanks again for thinking of us on the forum.
    God Bless,
    Sarah

Jimbob

Jack, I am so sory for your loss and especiall sorry about Dorry having been in agony for so long without any hope. The hope is what keeps most of us going.
    Thanks for the information. I have active VRE. They tell me not to worry about it as it doesnot appear to have settle anywhere that could become fatal but I (and others active VRE patients) have to stay isolated from other ptients in the clinic and hospital to reduce the spread. They tell me that it can settle down and become a no-issue. They retest every 3 months.
    Thanks for keeping in touch with us.
    Jim

Terri

Jack, Your strength is amazing, thank you for continuing to support all of us. The info you posted is so scary. I continue to pray for all on this forum.

Suzanne

Looks to me like VRE is again something people with this disease react differently too. Plenty scary but worse for some then others.

czaring

Jack – I followed Dorry’s postings and yours that followed. It saddened me to read about what had happened. It was nice to read a posting from you. I’ve not been looking at the board here recently.

My brother is in the hospital tonight in Seattle. Having had his knee scoped last Thursday and a spinal anesthesia – he came home to recover but was plagued by a headache that hit on the 3rd day after the procedure. He said it was worse than any he’d ever known could exist. We assumed “spinal headache” but last night he presented with a high fever and was diagnosed with spinal, bacterial meningitis. We are awaiting the results of the MRI and the cultures to learn of the particular bacteria that has invaded his system. He’s responding well tonight to whatever antibiotic they’re giving him – so we’re lucky. But I find this occurrence disheartening – to say the least.

My mom stayed out of the hospital room because of her MDS – but my dad went in with a mask and a gown. He’ll be in isolation and treated as such for another 12 hours or so. They’ve placed a shunt in his arm so that he won’t have to remain in the hospital for the entire 10 day course of IV antibiotics that he’ll need to receive.

Cindy Z

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert