MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Drop in blasts count!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Drop in blasts count!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rahulmathur9

My dad is suffering from RAEB 2…according to his latest bm biopsy his blasts have come down to 4% from 12% in a little over 3months. Is this possible? or did the pathology centre make a mistake?

Neil

It is possible. With MDS you will encounter many unusual events.
    Was he taking any meds that might account for a change?

Hurray! This is the time for that transplant. A cord transplant can be matched for just about anyone. Blast have to be below 5%. Celebrate this victory and keep asking questions.

Alice S
    Participant

Hi Rahul
    I sent you an email, but just in case you did not receive it.

My mothers blast count did the same.

Don’t know what her blast count was at Diagnosis in December 2004, but in July 2006 she had two BMBs one showed ‘stressed and non-existant bone marrow and blasts.’ Her Doctor was rather happy, hoping it was AA, but then re-did the BMB because she wanted to confirm the diagnosis herself, turns out blast count was actually 10%!

March 2007 BMB showed a blast count of 4% – Mom did not take any meds to decrease blasts. Then in October 2007 BMB showed blasts to be at 12%.

We don’t even bat an eyelid at the counts anymore. Mom is going for quality rather than quantity. Despite very low counts – 1/3 of normal, and tx every 2 weeks she is actually doing ‘very well’ – I believe it is her frame of mind. She travelled to Europe last September and we are now planning a five day trip to the Stellenbosch Winelands, she plans to eat as much as she can!

Whilst I am online, Mom is now doing 1000mg Exjade daily without any side effects, in fact without it she simply loses her apetite completely. Also tests show that her body is not affected by the Exjade. She deems herself to be one of the lucky ones. Not everyday is plain sailing, some days she’d rather just stay in bed, but she’s learnt that tomorrow is usually better, and as long as there are more ‘better’ days she will carry on.

Take care everyone, you are all in my thoughts everyday.

rahulmathur9

Thanks Alice, I did receive your email, just was not able to reply back and thank you for your help. Currently we are just discussing where to take my dad for the transplant the options being:
    1. India itself (but this is only possible if there is a sibling match)
    2. Singapore
    3. UK
    4. US

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert