MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

enlarged spleen

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board enlarged spleen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sarah

My husband had CT Scan yesterday that showed spleen has enlarged twice the normal size. Tomorrow he has BMA. What has others been advised with enlarged spleen? Also his CBC 2 weeks ago had his platelets at 11, today at 106. Is it normal to have such a difference in 2 weeks time.

Kathryn

Hey Sarah,

in my dad’s case, the doctor kept an eye on the functioning of his organs pretty closely. I know that the spleen, in particular, is one that they were most concerned with and is commonly affected.

Please keep us posted on how Charlie is doing. You both are in my prayers.

Kathryn

lindajo

My spleen was enlarged initially to 1 1/2 normal size. After around 3 months and two to three transfusions it reduced in size to normal and I haven’t had trouble with enlargement since the initial crisis 14 years ago.

I think it greatly depends on why it is enlarged, which type MDS you have and how long you have had it.

I have talked to many MDS patients that have had theirs removed and improved afterward. Follow your instincts get a couple of opinions before you make any decision. Good Luck

sarah

Dr suggested today Charlie’s spleen should be removed. Refering us to surgeon for procedure. Had bone marrow biospy today they were unable to get aspiration,too many packed cells. Will have results monday on blasts count. Any ideas on this type surgery and what does too many packed cells mean?

gemloyear

hi Sarah, My husband Glen has had this surgery in May of 2003. It’s something I wouldn’t rush into, with out getting a second opinion. he was dx with thrombocytopenia in Sept.2002, his platelets failed to come up. It was thought that his spleen was destroying the platelets, doc advised the spleen should be removed and that should correct It, 70% chance it would. The platelets never did come up. Splenectomy is a major surgery, he had blood and platelet transfusions prior to the surgery. It took a long time for recovery, he had a stroke 2 mo. after. Short term memory loss, had to learn speech, reading, writing etc., he still hasn’t got everything back yet, but is doing fairly well. And then in Aug. he developed an incisional hernia. The surgeon said he could not have corrective surgery because there would be danger of another stroke. The surgeon found nothing unusual in the spleen, no tumors,or fibrosis, a healthy spleen. He was dx with Mds. in Sept. 2003.Your husband is much younger than Glen so possibly would go through it easier. Ask the doc lots of questions, % research on the internet. By the way we are coming to N.C. in 2 wks. for a family reunion, are you near Charlotte? Good luck with your decision.
    Ellie

sarah

Yes, Charlotte is where we go for Dr appointments. We live about 45 minutes west of Charlotte. Thank you for your helpful information.

gemloyear

Hi Sarah, Do you go to a clinic? We will need to go for an aranesp inj. while we are there. Our doc will need to give us a referral.I’m apprehensive about traveling as this is the first trip we have taken since his dx.My brother-in-law lives in Oakdale.Nervous about being away from our doc’s,but my husband wants to visit his family.
    Ellie

gemloyear

Sarah, thanks for the info. now my husband can get a refferal from his doc when he goes for his reg. appt. next week.It will be good to have the appt. set up before we leave. this puts my mind at ease a little.Let us know how your consultation goes.
    Ellie

gemloyear

Hi Sarah, My husbands niece Danielle works in the CT dept. at the univ.hosp perhaps you met her when you were there?
    Ellie

Frankie

Oh Carl…..I feel for you.
    My spleen was very large. Mine was very painful.
    One doctor wanted to remove it…my hemo said “no way.” It was very painful and the second largest he had every seen.
    It has gotten smaller now that I no longer receive transfusions. I’ve ben on Revlimid for one year now.
    I need to start a new subject since I’m having trouble with my doctor…having faith in him in him, that is.

Frankie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert