MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

fever

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Hi, my husband had a temp of 100.9 last night. Gave him tylenol and it brought it down. Got back up to 100.5 this morning. We called his Dr who said to starting taking Cipro 500mg , which we have had here just in case this happened. He did not feel it was necessary to be seen. What does anyone think about fevers with MDS?

Terri

Its been awhile, But bob has had some fevers. Tylenol usually did the trick. Since he goes for weekly CBC’s we always are at the doctors office and can talk to the nurses and or doctor if needed.

Cherbear

Hi Sarah,
    In my short experience with the disease, I have had fevers hovering around 100 for maybe 24-48 hours a few tiimes. My oncologist didn’t want to see me unless the fevers persisted after taking antibiotics and/or the temp was 101 or higher. Again, I don’t have much experience with this, but I wanted to share what little knowledge I have.
    I hope the Cipro does the trick. That antibiotic was given to my son, who had AML, as a kind of maintenance drug, as he had fevers on and off during his illness.
    God bless,
    Cheryl

eve

my experience with fevers with mds is that they have to be treated aggressively otherwise things can really get out of control

my dad had a low fever in november – didn’t take antibiotics for a while thinking it would go away – it didn’t – he ended up in the hospital

eve

Jimbob

I still have fevers every now and then but the BMT docs no longer seem to concerned it they are able to be broken by tylenol within about 30 minutes. They usually are. Before they told me NOT to take tylenol or anything else becasue they wanted to see what was causing the fevers! It is so confusing at times. btw, my normal temp is 97.4 and sometimes I got as high as 102+ for several hours. Each time that it did not go down, I was hospitalized and found to have pnuemonia.
    Jim

gemloyear

Hi Sarah, I have found that fevers , even low can be a very serious sign with mds. My husband was sick for 3 months this winter as the result of a sinous infection.This began as a side effect of a new rheumatoid med. that he started nov.11, he had a fever of 100.5_ 102.5 . He was presribed a pencilan antibiotic of 4000 mg. @ day.& /tylenol. The fever never let up always low grade. It then became pneumonia and a terrible allergic reaction. He was hosplized, given antibotics thru i.v.,meds. nebulized, o2 and sent home after 4 days still with a fever of 102.5. On antibotics month of Jan., o2 & meds. w/nebulizer. and another sinous infection, more antib. Also extreme edema, took over a month to leave his legs all over a little sinous infection & LOW temp. !!! By the way any temp. is a sign that one is fighting an infection .I’m begining to see that a person sometimes has to assert ones self to get attention.
    Good luck Ellie

Suzanne

Sarah, As usual answers across the board and individual.If the white count and neutrophils are low thay will want to be sure that there is not an infection someplace. Hopefully the cipro will take care of what ever it s. I went into the hospital twice with fevers(my marker was 100.4 I think) and they never found the cause. Usually sent me home after 24 hours but they did not want me to take tylenol unless they told me to on an individual basis. When my counts were really low from chemo a fever was a sign of a fungal infection in my lung- again taken care of with meds. I think you have to follow the advice of the Dr. that knows your husband’s condition well and can look at the situation on an individual basis.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert