MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    eve

still can’t read private messages that are sent – can only read them when they are forwarded to my e-mail address at aol

eve

JaniceR

Hi eve: His blood counts on Tues. were: WBC 2.1; RBC 3.01; HGB 10.5; HCT 30.7. They gave him 3 pts. of blood two weeks ago in the emergency room when he arrived due to routine blood tests for cataract surgery. The results came back that his HBC was 4. Needless to say, he did not have the cataract surgery. He was walking around feeling fine with HBC of 4! Now that he’s up to 10.5 he feels like superman! My poor mother 😉 Hopefully, it’ll still be up when we go to Dr. Feldman on Monday. I told him to eat a ton of pineapple between now and then and lots of veggies.

eve

sorry i don’t know what hbc is – please explain
    thanks

eve

JaniceR

Hi Eve! Ooops, that’s a typo… haven’t been sleeping much. I meant HGB!

eve

a hgb of 4

can’t believe he was able to stand up – my dad is tired at 9

good luck with the appt with dr feldman on monday

let me know what he has to say

eve

JaniceR

Yeah, dad’s amazing. I’ll let you know Monday how it goes. Seeing that your dad’s 83 makes me smile.
    Thanks!

patti

Hi Janice,

I replied twice to your note the other day and kept getting an error every time I posted. I finally gave up for awhile.

The statistics you are reading on the web are really outdated. In the last several years a number of new treatments have come out that people have had success with.

My MIL was told she had 4-6 months to live. That was 16 months ago and she’s still here. Still happy, still living her life daily. Yes, she’s transfusion dependent every 4 weeks. But she hasn’t had a single infection and no major hickups. A few little ones. My MIL is 75, has greater then 30% blasts (borderline AML)in her marrow and has been doing natural treatments for the 16 months. She does take neupogen shots for her white cells because she has none.

So, there is good news. Ignore the numbers. Just go day by day and make sure your dad keeps his body as healthy as he can. Just doing that will go a long way.

Best Wishes,

patti

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert