MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

free housing for cancer patients and caregivers

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board free housing for cancer patients and caregivers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donna Clabaugh
    Participant

‎Deb Smith Gittens‎ to Myelofibrosis Private Support Group
    6 hrs ·
    From an email I just received; From the Cancer Support Community:

“On Tuesday, March 26, Airbnb announced a strategic partnership with the Cancer Support Community. Through this collaboration, the Airbnb community will provide free housing for cancer patients and caregivers, provided they meet certain geographic and income criteria. Airbnb made the announcement at an event in New York organized by the Biden Cancer Initiative and featuring Vice President Joe Biden.

As Cancer Support Community CEO Kim Thiboldeaux said in an Airbnb press release announcing the program: “The Cancer Support Community fields thousands of calls from individuals who are struggling to cover the cost of traveling for treatments, scans, clinical trials, and other medically necessary care. This grant from Airbnb is a game-changer for these patients and caregivers—and you can hear the relief and gratitude in their voices as they learn about the free housing from the Airbnb community.”

According to Airbnb’s announcement, the company is donating a total of $1.2M in grants to the Cancer Support Community, along with the Bone Marrow Foundation. These organizations will use the grants to help patients find warm, welcoming places to call home during difficult times.

Learn More About This Exciting Partnership Contact Us

Cancer Support Community
    734 15th Street NW Suite 300
    Washington, District of Columbia 20005
    202-659-9709″

Rose eden Guanzon
    Participant

I called them. Unfortunately, they have nothing going near Hackensack Meridian,NJ where my husband is undergoing BMT as I write this. I am getting worried. We live more than 40 miles away and i do not drive. After we are discharged, we have to come back for checkups twice a week minimum for 2 months. One bedroom apartments near HUMC are beyond our budget.

emily59
    Participant

Rose – You could try calling the American Cancer Society about getting rides to treatment. Here is the number — “Call to find a ride near you 1-800-227-2345”

People volunteer to drive patients.

Take care and good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert