MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Good Dr Visit

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Good Dr Visit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Allan Romriell
    Participant

Background: Diagnosed June 2017 with MDS-RARS from BMB after low blood counts were detected in a routine physical, 64 yr old(at the time) male, now almost 66. Platelets were 75, hemoglobin 11 and white cells just below normal at time of diagnosis. Since then blood counts have been fairly steady with hemoglobin between 11 and 11.8 white count in low normal range and red cells in the 3.5 range and platelets between 117-141, hematocrit around 35. Yesterday all counts were up, hemoglobin was 12, white cells 6+ platelets 157 and red cells at 3.91 hematocrit 37, in other words the best blood count numbers I have had since this all started with low counts in april of 2017 during my physical. I know things will change and this is only temporary, but I hoped by posting it might give some hope to those of us suffering with this disease. Sometimes things can improve if even for a time and they are working on new treatments all the time, so I am hopeful today and wanted to pass that on. My best to all in this forum, and thank you all for the hope and encouragement you all are to me.

tam
    Participant

Thanks Allan. Great news for you. Have you changed diet, exercise, medication or anything? Is anything different in your life now from when you were diagnosed? Are you on any medication for MDS? Thanks.

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Tam, no I am not on any MDS treatment. I haven’t really changed anything other than I am able to do more work around the place because I haven’t been as fatigued. I started noticing I was less tired over the last couple of months and hoped it meant my counts were increasing and that is what was happening. It is interesting because all my counts had been on a slow decrease all year, I am checked every 3 months and they had all been just a little lower every checkup until this one and they are higher now than at any checkup all year. Not sure what the deal is but happy for the gift none the less.

Annette Cook
    Participant

Great News, Alan! In this situation we have to accept joy and spread joy just as you’ve done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert