MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

HELP! Ring Sideroblastic Anemia

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board HELP! Ring Sideroblastic Anemia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Henriette

Hi:D

My name is Henriette, im 18 years old and i come from Norway.
    Because the information on MDS in Norway is so limited I thoought that maybe someone here could help me:)

I was diagnosed with ring sideroblastic anemia when i was about 14 years old. I have never been told that this is a form of MDS. Is it?
    It was when I for some time ago was getting a bit worse, (lower level of blood, no energy and it started to appear blue spots all over mye ties) that I searched the internet for more information. I had all the symptoms of MDS, but did not know about the connection between MDS and RARS at that time. I asked mye doctor if i had MDS, and he answered ” no”. Later on I found a note where mye illness was written down, and i noticed the letters MDS. When I did some research on the internet it bacame clear to me that ring sideroblatic anemia is a form of MDS.
    I have very little information about this, and because my case is uncommon since I am very young I cant find anything to compare myself to.

If someone with RARS or that know someone that has it could tell me a little more about the illness and how it affects their lives it would be fantastic:D

Henriette

I am often very tired, and feel exhausted after just a little workout. The latest hgb results was around 9.0, this is`nt all that bad. I have some breathing problems, and it feels like my throath is “plugged”, does anyone recognize themselves in this? ( I do have astma as well.) Beacause of my anemia I have a “bisound” on my heart (excuse my english:P Cant find the word), but I believe that my heart is not beating in a steady rythm, it doesnt feel like that. And when I exert myself a bit it often feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. Is this normal for a person with RARS?

ButchL
    Participant

I just did some quick research.

“Leukemia such as acute granulocytic leukemia can develop as a result of acquired sideroblastic anemia. Myelodysplasic syndromes (MDS) are generally observed in the early pre-leukemic stages of disease. “

I found this at: http://www.irondisorders.org/Disorders/Sideroblastic.asp

I would interpret it that there is a possibility of it turning to MDS then Leukemia. But it looks like it is not classified as MDS.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert