MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How long before your white count comes back?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How long before your white count comes back?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    doreen

As I continue to worry about my counts, I am wondering how long it took everyone that had their 1st round of chemo to get their white counts back again. One dr. said day 22, I get worried that they will never come back!

Suzanne

I know how you feel.Seems to me 22 to 30 was about right. I got out of the hospital in about 30 days for the first round and they kept me until my neuts were between 500-900. Get ready and don’t panic because they take longer to come back the 2nd round.Seems to me it was close to 35-40 days before I had a steady upward trend. I was really scared that they were not going to come back! But they told me it takes longer every time they “knock them down”. They also can come up a little and drop back down just when you get hopeful-false starts- so they look for a definite trend in increase over several days. Keep concentrating on growing healthy ones when those new ones start growing”!

mamakayz

I too, know how you feel!…
    My wife Nadine is at day 40 since her chemo, and her counts are finally starting to climb upward. I thought it would never happen, but the Dr.s now say she is only days away from getting out. They also say that blood samples taken just minutes apart can vary “greatly” in counts; it’s just a momentary snapshot…so don’t put too much stock into the exact numbers, just be patient and wait for it to happen, which it will.

doreen

Thank you both for your input! I was starting to think there was something wrong. The dr. keeps telling me that this is normal but apparently I thought I was superwoman and they would come back in a week. Guess not! Thanks again! Doreen

Suzanne

Doreen, must be a symptom of the disease. I was sure mine would be early too-at least at the front of the predicted span-but no such luck.

Hey, So glad to hear that Nadine is close to coming home!! I know she is excited about that. Sure hope encouraging news is ahead for her.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert