MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Hydrea question

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Hydrea question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Angie W.

My dad has been on Hydrea since Friday morning. He is to go back to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon to ‘see if it has started working’. Would we be able to see changes that soon? Would this just decrease his WBC or also platelets? What about blasts?

One other Rx question…would the ‘stronger oral chemo medicine’ the doctor mentioned to him be Vidaza? The doctor didn’t say what it would be and my dad didn’t ask.

Thanks,
    Angie

Angie W.

Forgot to mention that his WBC is currently 79,000 (and 5 weeks ago had been 26,000). If that is relative to a response from Hydrea.

Harold

Angie, Hydrea primarily decreases WBCs and less often affects RBCs and platelets. I don’t think Hydrea will have any affect on blasts. You can see a decrease in WBC in response to Hydrea in a matter of days (within a week) but it can also take longer. Vidaza is an injection (subcutaneous) so this is probably not the “oral” chemo the doctor was thinking about.

Suzanne

the oral one might be Zarnestra. It is the only other pill chemo I know about. It has been used for older patients who for one reason or another were not up to heavy chemo. with about a 30% success rate. It was supmitted for fast track approval but fDA required the pahse 3 studies.I was told for the same reasons they are being cautious about the revlimid approval ( the couple of drugs that hit the news causing problems after they were approved)

Angie W.

Dad’s WBC today was 95,000. I had been given some wrong info earlier… five weeks ago they were 2,000. Then last Thursday 79,000.

He has been taking 2 pills twice a day. Doctor changed today to 8 pills a day (not sure how many and how often…).

More bloodwork on Friday.

If the Hydrea is going to do ANYTHING, would we see something within a week, especially with increased dosage.

I thought the counts today would be a tiny bit lower. Not a huge amount higher.

It’s all happening very quickly. frown

PAG2005

Hi Angie,

My mom was diagnosed with AML with WBC of over 200,000. They immediately gave her hydrea to try to reduce the wbc or at least keep it from going higher until she was tested to see if she was eligible for chemo. Her WBC did go down but I don’t know by how much before she started chemo. I believe it can stabilize the wbc or bring it down but I’m not sure for how long. I think with the increase in dosage you should be able to see difference within a week. Pat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert