MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

I know someone can help!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board I know someone can help!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    KristyS
    Quote:
    Just curious, is there any autoimmune blood or bone marrow failure syndromes in your family? 3 of the last 4 generations of women on my side had blood disorders. [/QB]

First of all…as far as her MDS diagnosis, they really hesitated for 2 years to diagnose her. Only her red cell line has been affected and we were all hoping it would turn around. Finally due to fibrosis she developed and blasts (less than 5) they officially diagnosed MDS RAEB early this year. She still have normal platelets and just below normal white cells.

Family history – hard to say. A great aunt of hers has Lupus. Other than that, some solid tumor cancers on her paternal grandfather’s side…not said to be a risk factor.

Donna

Again – interesting. Mom, mds – sister – lupus. I’ve had cancer. and another sister STILL waiting to find out what going on with her immune system, They are suspeting some sort of blood disorder.

Autoimmune disorders do tend to run in families, according to my Dr.

Donna

mdsmom

You know, I’m no doctor. I’m ready to accept that these histories change nothing as far as our current situation goes. My great-grandmother came from Germany in the latter half of the 1800’s, found her picture and she had one eye that is completely white, maybe glaucoma; maybe not. Her daughter (my mothers mother) had the most horrible case of crippling arthritis (autoimmune), completely useless hands and could barely walk. I remember as a child my mother taking her to get shots of gold in her knees, she wore special open shoes cause her knarled bones could not fit in normal shoes. It started when she was 26. Her husband (my mothers Dad) died suddenly after minor surgery-possibly hemophilia ( isn’t that autoimmune)? He was 38. My mother was treated for over 20 years for cold agglutinin disease (very rare,guess what? AUTOIMMUNE) blood RH neg. There is 14 years separating my sister and me, she lost 5 babies between us. I was early, teeny, and transfused at birth. I have had 3 surgeries in the last two years for spontaneously detached retinas. Remember my great-grandmother? She was 23 when she had her 1st child.
    Keelyn has always been anemic and never had a normal PAP (the doctors always just told her to take iron pills). She had Aubry at 22, nine days before his 1st birthday-because her oncologist/hemotologist in Austin was hesitant to diagnose her-we went to MD Anderson and they came up with MDS/RAEB. Weird, weird, weird-just my opinion. Do you think any of the doctors want to hear my story? NO
    Her MD Anderson doctor told me “it’s very sad”

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert