MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

interesting survey

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board interesting survey

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    cthomas555

Marla,

My reply was in response to your question. “Is there anything the sick provides for the healthy?”

It was not presented as a negative or a positive. It is what it is. A fact.

The care of sick people and the manufacturing of goods for healthcare provide jobs for the healthy population and consume a large percent of the GNP. Is that not a direct response to your question. If not, perhaps you would like to phrase your question differently.

There is nothing positive about being sick or terminally ill and I would not recommend it for any reason!

Hi Chris:

You have taken my original question of out context. If you take my question in relation to the context it was intended, then no, I feel that my question was stated properly. If you take that question out of context, as you have done, then yes, the question should be restated for clarity.

But so relieved to hear that you don’t recommend illness! Scared me for a moment.

Marla

shirlsgirl

Oh my goodness Marla, that was so harsh.

I thought you didn’t like getting involved in these kinds of debates?

Jody

Bkwits

Marla,
    Aren’t all private health insurance plans based on the healthy people paying medical bills for the sick?
    Barb

cthomas555

Marla, you seem to get a little confused by some of what is*written* in messages posted here so I won’t confuse you by responding to your messages in the future.

Be well,

Chris

geebeebee

I think all of us on this board know all too well what our answer would be to the hypothetical question:

Would you rather be healthy and pay the bills or sick and receive the benefits?

I’ve always been thankful when I don’t reach my deductible for my insurance; I don’t understand how one could feel any other way.

Hi Barb:

Yes, it is. But at least you choose which health insurance to join, if any at all. You don’t pay all the different companies, only the one with whom you participate. Hopefully it’s the one with which you agree with their terms.

I have no problem with healthy people paying for the sick so long as there is a choice. Charity is a great thing, and I believe there should be more of it. But when we *force* people to pay for things, and we have no say in or how that money is distributed/spent is what puts a bad taste in my mouth. Not because the money is going to the less fortunate, but because many times funds are squandered, and the needy only get a small portion of the whole allottment. The more hands that get involved means the more waste regarding resources because everyone wants a piece of the pie–especially the big pharms, before the needy get what they need. There are so many causes out there that need funds, that we can’t give to every cause even if we wanted to. We wouldn’t have anything left of our paycheck. So, I think it would be ideal if we could *choose* which cause we want to donate to or even what cause we can offer our services to. Some organisations are much more efficient with the donations they receive, and I would chose to support those.

The option to have 3rd party audits of the government healthcare system would also be reassuring for people who contribute. As far as I understand, the health program in the U.S. today is not subject to outside audit. Where is the accountabilty of the funds being allotted to the system? As far as I know, the statistics we get are estimates, or guess-timates.

Anyway, in regard to people with handicaps, an acquaintance of mine has invited me to listen to a guest speaker at his church tonight. It’s not exactly how I’m used to spending my Friday nights, but this one seemed interesting. The speaker was born without arms or legs. . . yet seems to have a wonderful outlook on life. (I wonder what kind of healthcare he has!) Here’s his website. http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/media.htm I think I should be able to learn something from him especially regarding how to give and help others and to appreciate the blessings in my life. Periodic attitude check is a good thing. Ha ha!

Take care,

Marla

Terri

I have read bits and pieces of post here as I come to this forum for support and Information relative to this disease. Not sure how the rest of you deal with this – I mean the disease but Recently Bob gave us a scare he had a subdural bleed. He had to be hospitalized immediately and you know what I did not Think about deductibles, copays, my time off of work All I thought was Get well and to Pray to ask God to pull us through this. When you get to the point where you are praying and asking for More time with your loved one None of this other stuff matters at the time, ANd yes right now I have a lot of medical bills to pay, and yes I have insurance but NONE of that Matters All that Matters to Me is That Bob is Doing better and I will do everything I can to fight this disease.
    I don’t need a reply Don’t expect anyone to agree or disagree with me but This topic has gotten way off the reason for this forum.

eve

my sentiments exactly terri

eve

sarah

Amen Terri, one thing I’ve learned is don’t sweat the little stuff. Everything is little compared to fighting for your life, or the life of a loved one.

geebeebee

All, I agree this isn’t as important (and I have never come close to saying that), but to act as if I don’t understand all this is very disconcerting. I encourage you to take a look at the board to see what happened in my life a little over a year ago and beyond with my mother, and then tell me I don’t understand fighting for and losing life.

Frankly, I don’t see the harm in discussing healthcare in this country and its effects, and all the readers of the board have seen this subject on the board for some time, and can choose not to read it if they don’t deem it important, or if it bothers them.

I don’t appreciate being treated as if I don’t understand the levity of subjects on this board, as my family has been devastated by this disease every bit as much as anyone else here.

Since I am apparently causing high emotional distress by talking about national healthcare (even though it DOES affect how MDS patients are able to get care, much more so than an average person), I am signing off.

I wish all of you the best,

Greg

Bkwits

What are the acceptable topics for this forum? I’ve quite a few (some very long posts) on how to get juice out of a beet, or pineapple. I’ve not seen any complaints about those posts.

Jack_dup1

Barb,
    This is an OPEN unmoderated Forum, there should be no topics unacceptable. There will be unacceptable topics for some people, it is all where you interest lies. If it peaks your interest, read it, if not, move on. We are not here to stiffle free speach. I admit I would get sick of all of Patti’s post, it didn’t matter what the subject was, she became the expert. I would just read on past hers because it was usually off subject anyway. Some don’t like my posts, I joke to much in them, to bad, skip and go to the next.
    Jack

seekay

Marla,

Yes, I think removing patents on drugs is an important first step. Apparently, these same pharm companies are combing the world looking for folk remedies (e.g., in India) that they can somehow patent and take away from the people who have been using them for hundreds or thousands of years. [Who is that wonderful Indian woman who is talking about all this stuff? I saw her speak years ago.] This is unbridled theft, showing what happens when the profit motive is given free reign.

I guess another important part of the equation would be agreeing on a “price” for certain standard health “services.” I seem to recall that a system like that already exists, called the average adjusted per capita cost (AAPCC for short)–I think this is how Medicare “prices” things (a cost-based pricing system), but don’t quote me on that (it’s been too long since I looked at this stuff).

Bkwits

Hi Jack,
    I am not at all in favor of limiting free speech. I was trying to point out that some subjects are not that interesting to everyone on the forum. It’s much better, in my opinion to have an active up-to-date forum than one where the last message is two weeks old. I have nothing against anyone here. I’m interested in how people think about issues. I just think that to put everything in the perspective of how important the subject is compared to the live of your loved one, is hurtful and counterproductive.

I apologize for being a little too abrupt. I had just returned from seeing my granddaughter in the hospital where my husband suffered for over two months. That caused some painful emotions.
    Take Care,
    Barb

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert