MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Iron Build=-up

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Iron Build=-up

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dick

After 22 TX my iron level is over 3000 and I’ve had 22 desferal shots. Currently receiving daily shots of 2 mg. I know this is a slow acting drug but it’s been three months now. What’s your history?

helenr

Hello Dick

You are wise starting treatment now. My husband did not start for various reasons until his ferritin was 5000 last December. it is still near that level but the reading can alter due to other factors eg.inflammation. He is infusing 1 gram every night but when you study the drug info the dose he is having will only slow the iron accumulation. He has had one measurement of the iron excreted over 24 hrs via his urine. He can try a higher dose but the effectiveness can reach a plateau. I thought infusions were the most effective method. Having daily shots was not mentioned. There have been trials on an oral chelator. Good luck.

Helen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert